Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange banding

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by jimmeth411, Jul 1, 2013.

1. jimmeth411

jimmeth411 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Redding, CT
    So hopefully somebody can help. I am printing on a cjv30-160, and keep getting banding issues. I'm using flexi 8.6 to rip, and trying to print a solid gray. The issue I'm having is it will print lighter "strips" across the image, meaning about an inch will be the correct color, and the next inch or so is slightly lighter, then back to correct. I attached a picture, but not sure if its very noticable here. We tried cleaning the encoder strip, adjusting the feed rate, different profiles, different pass rates. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be? We are out of ideas over here. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    gradients in flexi = nightmare.

Try either flattening the file and ripping as a tiff or if you have photoshop try creating the gradient in photoshop and seeing if that fixes your gradient step issues.

3. jimmeth411

jimmeth411 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Redding, CT
    It isn't a gradient I'm trying to print, its a solid gray block. To be honest, I don't think we've had any problems with gradients or other solid colors, just this gray.

4. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    is the color associated with a logo or can you try a slightly different cmyk code for grey to see if it still is there?

5. jimmeth411

jimmeth411 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Redding, CT
    yeah, its actually a pantone color that we have to match. But we haven't tried changing it at all to test. We might have to try it and see how it looks.

6. jimmeth411

jimmeth411 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Redding, CT
    So I tried changing the values ever so slightly, and it still has the same issue. 1 inch of correct color followed by an strip slightly lighter. someone please help!

7. MJerome

MJerome New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Almost sounds like a feed issue, have you tried printing that file in Uni-direction?

8. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Looks like chromatic banding. Attempt to print in uni-directional mode and if the banding goes away, that is your culprit.