• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Strange error on closing X8

ams

Anyone having the issue that sometimes when you close Corel, you get a little pop up window with coding and it freezes and you have to do ALT, CTL, DEL to get rid of it? Just started a couple weeks ago. See below.

corelissue.jpg

unclebun

The popup window is supposed to be an ad for upgrading to the new version of Corel. Perhaps some security software on your computer is preventing it from pulling the page from the internet.

ams

I don't have any security or anti-virus software installed. I am thinking it's just a bug of some sort, may need to reinstall.

WildWestDesigns

I don't have any security or anti-virus software installed. I am thinking it's just a bug of some sort, may need to reinstall.

I do believe Defender comes packaged in with Win 10. May want to check that that isn't doing anything. I think you can only disable, but not uninstall that.

From what I'm seeing at the top, I doubt that it's a bug, just may not be able to get connection with what it needs to connect to. Most commercial software that I'm aware of has this type of "popup". On mine, it's when opening, but I guess it depends on what the vendor favors.

One concern that I would have with doing a re-install is won't you loose a "seat" to X8 when doing that? I know Painter you are able to deactivate and reactivate, but I don't think DRAW has that ability.

ams

You mean them forcing me to upgrade to 2018 and reinstalling X8 would become disabled?

WildWestDesigns

You mean them forcing me to upgrade to 2018 and reinstalling X8 would become disabled?

You have X amount of activation with DRAW. After you re-install, even on the same machine (unless there are some files that are kept that override this loss) you'll be X - 1 on your activation amount. Depending on what X is at this time as to whether or not they'll force you to upgrade or if they are generous enough to allow another activation (which they are under no obligation to do so).

WildWestDesigns

Didn't know that. I have installed it on 4 computers with no issues.

X5 and earlier didn't have that. X6 on up do. The commercial digitizing software that I used (Wilcom) comes with DRAW (only reason that I've ever had a copy of DRAW, although I don't install it) and I believe DRAW came with 5 activation. Obviously, I've never tested that, but that would be what I would be concerned about.

Most closed source commercial programs have limits of installing on computers. Either through activation servers, hardware dongles or whatever.

With subscription versions that may be a different story (probably another "perk" that they would use to sell one on that).