• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Strange Overspray losing me jobs. Please Help!

mediacorp

All of a sudden my machine seems to be doing a hectic overspray of the cyan colour, also some of the yellow, but main problem is the Cyan.

I have done aboslutely everything i can think of, but still sitting with this problem. Its looking pretty bad, like its firing all over the show.

Similar to another post on these forums, but nothing yet.

Any solutions or ideas?

Having a lot of work returned now because of this issue. Feel like pulling my hair out. :frustrated:

Machine is a VP 540i

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 227

Malkin

I get that alot with certain vinyls, esp. intermediate Oracals. Seems to be media related like static or something. But yes, generally the cyan is the problem oddly enough.

mediacorp

I've also switched between different brands that we stock, such as Orajet, Avery and then a SA brand, all seem to have this issue. Also tried getting rid of possible static that another member advised in a different thread.

rjssigns

Go ahead and laugh, but get some Bounce dryer sheets. Tape them across the back of the printer so they are just skimming the top of the vinyl. Like others have said certain vinyls are more static prone. We always have dryers sheets near the printer.

Last edited:

anix

Static

Not sure about the drier sheets. The static builds around the rollers and where the head passes over the media. I noticed that I generated a lot of static mounting prints on the laminator so I set up an experimate..I let the drier sheets drag over the vinyl before it got to the rollers and it did not help at all (hair still stood up lol). But let the sheet drag on the output side and almost no static.

Keep the humitity higher than 50% around the printer and be sure the printer is grounded good. I found a small ground strap broke on mine. It ran from the chasis to the lever that raises and lowers the pinch rollers.

BBworks

get a cheap humidifier, check for lint stuck to the heads where the ink gets sticky and do a thorough manual clean.

artbot

have you purged the capacitors on the main board via the front power button (printer unplugged, pressing front button several times)? sp models in the past had and electrostatic build up issue that would cure about 2% of the printers odd issues.

Fatboy

have you purged the capacitors on the main board via the front power button (printer unplugged, pressing front button several times)? sp models in the past had and electrostatic build up issue that would cure about 2% of the printers odd issues.
:goodpost:

mediacorp

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am about to test each one in the hopes one sorts out the problem. Any longer and I have no idea what I will do. would have gotten a technician by now, but South Africa only has one proper qualified, extremely annoying. Nonetheless let me attampet these.

@artbot - I actually saw your solution on another persons post similar to mine, unfortunately it hasnt worked, had my fingers corssed on that one. But in this current position I am going to do it again.

mediacorp

Any advice on how to ground a VP 540i? Looks like trying to discharge static as per Artbot's advice has assisted a bit, still light overspray now, but much more legible.

artbot

overspray can also be caused by other things. have you done a head height comparison. too high a head height over the media and you'll get a bit of overspray. also, is your area humid or very dry? ....one odd thing too. i just solved a bit of my overspray by upgrading my firmware (this was a mimaki issue, i doubt i would be the same for you).

Kristen378

Mimaki JV# 130 cyan overspay

My hair is already gone on this issue, I have done a full clean, new ribbons, new slider board and now a new head, still have the overspay.
Any thoughts Arbot????

gregwallace

weve had similar issues from too much heat. What is your heater set at? Also slowing down the carraige speed in your rip might help reduce the length of the overspray.

MikePro

ink sitting on the shelf too long, maybe? I once had some mysterious overspray issues, resulting from an expired cartridge I swapped chips into and slammed into my printer. settled/separated ink turned out to be my final solution, after days of diagnosing other mechanical possibilities.

start from square-one, flush your printer and fillup with new ink. has always worked for me, when i've been stumped.

splizaat

I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago. Nothing helped (including dryer sheets dangling). Eventually we unplugged the powercord for about 2 hours, plugged it back in and viola! What does the test print look like?

CS-SignSupply

What does the nozzle test look like? Pic please.

Was the new head you installed an OEM Roland or after market. We have run ink several customers buying aftermarket heads and seeing this type of issue

Through the unit into service mode if you can and run the ink fill pattern test from the print menu

Lower the head and print on intermediate vinyl.

If you see overspray on one head, I would think head or ribbon cable. If you see it in two heads, long ribbon cables or mainboard

How old is the unit and how many hours are on it?

Also agree and recommend OEM inks