• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

strange printing issues - JVC 30 - 160

jimmeth411

So we have a Mimaki JVC30-160 and we've been getting some strange issues, I'm not even sure what to call it. It seems that at the end of a print of red, it makes weird shapes with magenta. We're using flexi 8.6, and don't seem to have this problem with any other colors, just reds. Attached a pic to show whats going on. Not sure if it's a software issue, hardware issue, or something else completely. Hopefully someone can help!

Attachments

• 20141023_084210.jpg
    20141023_084210.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 102

DougWestwood

Mimaki - magenta freak show

Hi There,

Have operated many Mimakis, never seen this.

Since the lines are so clean (not jagged), I would guess this is a voltage problem, which sends different bursts of varying power to the head. Perhaps an inner power supply failure or crossed wire?

Are you sure there isn't some kind of Ai problem, where there is a clipping mask on a template file?
Some kind of attached script you don't see when creating the file?

And you only see this at the END of a print? Make me think there's some kind of "leftover" commands it is reading, giving you the extra reds.

Another idea: if this is at the end of prints only, is there some mechanical thing pushing the red heads out of line? Is there something stuck in the machine?

Really strange problem. Please post back if you find the solution.
- Doug/Vancouver

jimmeth411

Hi There,

Have operated many Mimakis, never seen this.

Since the lines are so clean (not jagged), I would guess this is a voltage problem, which sends different bursts of varying power to the head. Perhaps an inner power supply failure or crossed wire?

Are you sure there isn't some kind of Ai problem, where there is a clipping mask on a template file?
Some kind of attached script you don't see when creating the file?

And you only see this at the END of a print? Make me think there's some kind of "leftover" commands it is reading, giving you the extra reds.

Another idea: if this is at the end of prints only, is there some mechanical thing pushing the red heads out of line? Is there something stuck in the machine?

Really strange problem. Please post back if you find the solution.
- Doug/Vancouver

Not an AI problem, we created the file in flexi and print directly from flexi. There shouldn't be any scripts either. Not even sure what kind of mechanical issue it could be, there's nothing stuck in the machine. So like I said before, not sure if its a setting issue somewhere, hardware issue, or software issue (not compatible with flexi 8.6?).

That is certainly a strange one.

Based on the clean edge and symmetry of the defect, I would first verify that the data itself is valid. Was this file built entirely inside of FlexiSIGN, or was it composed elsewhere and brought into Flexi to output only?

edit: I see that it was built entirely in Flexi. You might look into updated drivers for 1394 firewire and Flexi for the printer. If that's not it, the next step would be the troubleshooting the printer itself.

joeb76

hello i am not sure whats going on with your print

but i have been getting a black line printed over print

and it is not on the artwork

jimmeth411

Castek, do you know where I can find the updated drivers? I'm assuming it's something I can get from the Mimaki website, correct?

Tekkie1

Tekkie of Many Things
Hi
What happens if u send the same print job down but rotate it does it give the same results at the same place or does it shift with the rotation?
Tekkie1

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I have to agree with the others, that is a bizarre one. Cannot say I've ever seen that particular sort of defect either. Yes - download the latest Mimaki drivers from the Mimaki website at http://eng.mimaki.co.jp/download/

Other things to look at might be to check that the encoder strip is clean, possibly replacing the Firewire or USB cable (depending on what printer you have - not sure if you have an older JV3 or a newer JV33). Maybe try a the cable on a different port on the computer. Delete old jobs out of Production Manager, clear the Production Manager job log, not really sure. Might be some sort of a thing in the artwork or might be some electrical or communication issue....

jimmeth411

Tekkie, it doesn't matter the rotation of the image, it always happens at the end of the print.

Sightline, thanks for the help, I'm going to update the drivers today, clear the production manager and clean the encoder strip. Hopefully one of those will help clear it up. I will keep you updated.