• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Strange Roland Test Print

Steve Prince

Anyone have a test print with multiple colors in a strip?

Cyan is in front and rear of one of the yellow test patterns. In the morning before a cleaning, the one yellow is completely green in one of the yellow tests.

First thought was the head. Now possibly thinking it may the the manifold between the dampers and the head.

Anyone ever have to replace a manifold?

Any thoughts?

attachment.php

Re: VS540 - w/ not a lot of hours, but just enough to be out of warranty.
New Cap Top, Dampers, Wiper and Felt.

Attachments

• VS540TestPrint.jpg
    VS540TestPrint.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,790

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I hope it's not the same issue for you, but this happened on our VS-540 with black bleeding into the yellow.
Ended up needing a new head :(

reQ

Cap tops not installed correctly and don't make right contact with print heads. Had same issue when i was changing mines. Adjusted them and its all good.

Steve Prince

I Like the cap top idea over the head and will look into adjusting it first.

I did dig into it a bit deeper and wondering if this picture tells anything more. The test print looked the same before and after I changed the cap top and dampers though, so I'm wondering if it could be a cracked manifold.

Thanks again for any thoughts.
attachment.php

Attachments

• VS540Manifold.jpg
    VS540Manifold.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 531

InkjetAuction

O-Ring/Gasket

You have a damper issue.

If you look carefully at the nipple with the arrow, you will see that the o-ring/gasket from the damper. It was pulled out of the damper. You are simply not getting a good seal.
Look at the bottom of your damper and you will see (most likely) that the o-ring gasket is missing.

If you don't have a replacement damper, you may be able to remove the o-ring/gasket from the nipple and re-insert it into the damper. It's pretty easy to do on these types of dampers just as long as the gasket is not damaged.
You should consider replacing the damper as soon as possible. Please remember to use the ink choke when replacing the dampers, and cover the head with some towels to catch any ink drops.

Good luck.

~E

P.S. Your nozzle test is a little rough for a 2yr old printer... using OEM inks?

Last edited:

rjssigns

I had a similar issue caused by 3rd party inks. The tab that signifies when the cart is empty wouldn't come out. This lead to the cartridge going bone dry then sucking ink back from the other channel.

phototec

Please remember to use the ink choke when replacing the dampers, and cover the head with some towels to catch any ink drops.

I have never replaced my dampers (that day is coming), anyway what do you mean use the ink choke?

Can you explain in detail WHAT and HOW to replace the DAMPERS and what the INK CHOKE is?

:thankyou:

InkjetAuction

Ink Choke and Ink Systems

The OP is having trouble with a Roland VS series printer. The Ink Choke is only found in machines that are VS or newer.

I cannot cover the exact process of damper replacement in a VS unit in this forum, but I think that it will help if I offer some background on ink choke and the differences between the old type and new type ink system.

Ink choke is something that is found on RA/VS units (and newer)... essentially any Roland printer with a DX5 or newer head.
Depending on the model, it's either a manually operated bar (VS/RA) or electrically operated valve (VSi/RF/XF/XR) that closes/crimps the ink lines. The ink choke mechanism is found behind the ink cartridge bay.
The manual value is actuated from the left side of the printer using a 5mm Allen (VS/RA), and the electrically operated valve is operated via the Service Menu (VSi and above). Note: Keeping ink lines crimped for a long period of time can damage the ink lines and cause inkflow issues.

Self-servicers not familiar with the ink system on the VS/VSi series should be cautious before digging into ink system maintenance. There's a lot more going on under the hood as far as the ink system goes than previous models. Servicing these machines is not brain surgery, but you can get yourself into trouble ($$) if you don't understand the systems before digging in. Always call your trusted service tech for help before you cause more damage. Many techs are happy to teach you what they know.

Legacy DX4 based models (SP, VP, Soljet Pro II/III, etc) had a very simple ink system. A sharp needle punctures the cartridge septum, and the ink line carries the ink to the small dampers which sit on the printhead manifold. (Dampers allow air to be removed, filter the ink and prevent backflow to the cartridge)

These systems are gravity fed, and a negative pressure in the ink cartridge draws the ink back when you have an air leak or if you remove the damper from the ink line. (The ink needles are just slightly lower than captop height). Individual captops make it easy to clear individual heads and reload individual ink lines during maintenance.

While these are nice simple systems to maintain, the shared captop systems (aka SP series) do risk wicking from one channel to another when cartridge pressures are uneven (i.e. magenta wicks into the yellow line). Also, because of the inkflow limitations, these machines are also prone to ink starvation when running fast with heavy coverage.

The newer DX5+ machines changed the mechanics of ink system-- just slightly, but enough to add a little complexity.
First, all of the VS/VSi units have recirculation systems for white/metallic inks. If you don't use white/metallic ink, the lines in the re-circ system are filled with regular process ink. So you still have additional pumps and Y-joins to factor in...even with the regular inks.

While the new machines are also gravity fed, you get some forward pressure as the inks are higher than the captop. To deal with this, Roland added an ink choke, to clamp the inklines during service. (Choke is also used during Choke Cleaning, but that is a different topic). Remove a damper without clamping the ink choke and you may have a surprise mess on your hands. Clamping allows you to replace individual dampers without having to reload all of the ink in the system. With the circulation system--and depending on the ink color and which channel it uses-- loading an inkline may not be as simple as drawing ink through the newer style damper.

Again, this isn't rocket science, but a little misstep and you can fry your head ($2,200-ish) or be fighting inkflow, air bubbles, drop out... and be wasting a ton of ink trying to work it out because you have a single captop.

At the end of the day, consider a trusted experienced tech to help-- if you have one.

~E

phototec

The OP is having trouble with a Roland VS series printer. The Ink Choke is only found in machines that are VS or newer.

I cannot cover the exact process of damper replacement in a VS unit in this forum, but I think that it will help if I offer some background on ink choke and the differences between the old type and new type ink system.

Ink choke is something that is found on RA/VS units (and newer)... essentially any Roland printer with a DX5 or newer head.
Depending on the model, it's either a manually operated bar (VS/RA) or electrically operated valve (VSi/RF/XF/XR) that closes/crimps the ink lines. The ink choke mechanism is found behind the ink cartridge bay.
The manual value is actuated from the left side of the printer using a 5mm Allen (VS/RA), and the electrically operated valve is operated via the Service Menu (VSi and above). Note: Keeping ink lines crimped for a long period of time can damage the ink lines and cause inkflow issues.

Self-servicers not familiar with the ink system on the VS/VSi series should be cautious before digging into ink system maintenance. There's a lot more going on under the hood as far as the ink system goes than previous models. Servicing these machines is not brain surgery, but you can get yourself into trouble ($$) if you don't understand the systems before digging in. Always call your trusted service tech for help before you cause more damage. Many techs are happy to teach you what they know.

Legacy DX4 based models (SP, VP, Soljet Pro II/III, etc) had a very simple ink system. A sharp needle punctures the cartridge septum, and the ink line carries the ink to the small dampers which sit on the printhead manifold. (Dampers allow air to be removed, filter the ink and prevent backflow to the cartridge)

These systems are gravity fed, and a negative pressure in the ink cartridge draws the ink back when you have an air leak or if you remove the damper from the ink line. (The ink needles are just slightly lower than captop height). Individual captops make it easy to clear individual heads and reload individual ink lines during maintenance.

While these are nice simple systems to maintain, the shared captop systems (aka SP series) do risk wicking from one channel to another when cartridge pressures are uneven (i.e. magenta wicks into the yellow line). Also, because of the inkflow limitations, these machines are also prone to ink starvation when running fast with heavy coverage.

The newer DX5+ machines changed the mechanics of ink system-- just slightly, but enough to add a little complexity.
First, all of the VS/VSi units have recirculation systems for white/metallic inks. If you don't use white/metallic ink, the lines in the re-circ system are filled with regular process ink. So you still have additional pumps and Y-joins to factor in...even with the regular inks.

While the new machines are also gravity fed, you get some forward pressure as the inks are higher than the captop. To deal with this, Roland added an ink choke, to clamp the inklines during service. (Choke is also used during Choke Cleaning, but that is a different topic). Remove a damper without clamping the ink choke and you may have a surprise mess on your hands. Clamping allows you to replace individual dampers without having to reload all of the ink in the system. With the circulation system--and depending on the ink color and which channel it uses-- loading an inkline may not be as simple as drawing ink through the newer style damper.

Again, this isn't rocket science, but a little misstep and you can fry your head ($2,200-ish) or be fighting inkflow, air bubbles, drop out... and be wasting a ton of ink trying to work it out because you have a single captop.

At the end of the day, consider a trusted experienced tech to help-- if you have one.

~E

:goodpost:

WOW, you are very knowledgeable about this subject, I don't see this level of expertise very often.

I have a SP-540V and never heard of the Ink Choke, thanks for explaining what it is, and mainly whit it's needed on the newer printer.

Can I ask you another question regarding the older printers like the SP-540V, over the years I have read many posts about people coming back to the shop over nite or over the weekend and discovering a large pool of ink on the floor, and either one or all of their ink carts empty.

Do you know what issues can cause this type of situation, some kind of wicking I would think?

:thankyou:

DRamm76

Cap tops not installed correctly and don't make right contact with print heads. Had same issue when i was changing mines. Adjusted them and its all good.

Exactly. Don't go assuming it's a head because that's the "common thing" on here. It's a capping station. Contact the dealer who installed it and tell them. If you installed it yourself, call a dealer to get it done right