Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange shadows/black levels

Discussion in 'Roland' started by toomanygittars, Jun 19, 2012.

1. toomanygittars

toomanygittars New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    This is reeeally bugging me...
    Whenever I try to print photography - and it doesn't matter which media I'm using - something strange happens:

Faces and skin tones are just fine.
    However - darker areas and especially deep shadows in, let's say, someone's dark suit, will be overly dark, like someone painted the shadows on there with a brush. It looks.... cartoonish, almost.

Does anybody have any idea what to do about this? I've cleaned and calibrated the head, my VersaWorks is up to date.

The printer I'm using is an ASBRU Compact 54 (a slightly modified Roland SP540). The ink is Bordeaux Prime-Eco.

Any tips appreciated....

Trygve

2. romichoux

romichoux Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I don't like this ink. to much solvent in it.but this is not the matter I think.

could you send a picture of your problem

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    you probably need to create your own profiles if you are using a modified printer/inkset

4. romichoux

romichoux Member

Feb 13, 2012
    or print with unidirectional option

5. toomanygittars

Dec 18, 2011
    I've tried both uni- and bidirectional. The settings I use are generic Vinyl II, W-pass, High quality. AdobeRGB1998, EuroScale Coated, raster setting "perceptual" (tried other settings but those are the best ones.)

Maybe I'll go back to using the original ASBRU ink that came with the machine... although the Bordeaux ink is said to be 100% compatible.

I've attached two (bad quality) photos of the prints. Notice how the black levels are saturated, in a way:

SHADOWS 002.jpg

SHADOWS 003.jpg

6. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    Sorry, I can't help with your ink issues, but I can say with 100% certainty that you can never have too many gittars....

7. toomanygittars

Dec 18, 2011
    Well, I have.
    :smile:

8. romichoux

romichoux Member

Feb 13, 2012
    try to print by using Prepress EUROPE parameter, then clic on properties and choose Perceptif.

9. guato

guato Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Slovenia Europe
    If the photo is in RGB, RIP will convert to CMYK and will darken a bit!
    Try to use on original photo some alpha channel (0.1 -0.2)!

10. Cale Frederick

Cale Frederick Member

May 19, 2012
    Our xc-540 does this also after we swapped to 3rd party inks... We usually try to think of it before hand when editing the photos in photoshop and pull back the dark shadows. Different technique for different photos but we try to lighten up the dark shadows by at least 30 percent or so.

11. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    The problem you're having is called "clipping". Photoshop can be setup to show where clipping issues will occur using the profile you're printing with. You can then in turn bump up the color in those areas.

The true way to fix this problem is to create your own profile. Your K channel is too high and you could probably re-linearize that profile.

Profiling has been discussed at length within these forums. Do some searching and all will be revealed to you.