• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Strangest thing happening with registration marks...???

okeesignguy

I replaced my scan motor in my 540V Tuesday and then did all of the necessary adjustments...
Everything was awesome yesterday (Wednesday) as I printed without problems all day...
Then, right before closing shop, on the next to last print of the day...IT happened...

Printed both front registration marks perfectly...(the print/cut alignment ones / 4 circles at the corners)
Printed the job perfectly...
Then, on the two final "dots"...they printed all out of wack...out of shape...almost smeared...just as you would expect them to look when you have a dirty encoder strip...
Well...I had cleaned the strip on Tuesday when analyzing the scan motor problem so I knew that it was clean but I cleaned it again anyway...

Next I printed that same exact print for the next run and it did the same exact thing, printing the first dots and the job perfectly and then on the final two dots was screwed up again...WTF!?!
You would think that it would either print good or print screwed up throughout the entire print but it ONLY screws up the second set of dots...???
My thinking is to go back in this morning and delete the job and re import it and set it up and rip it again and try again...???
I don't really know what else to try...any ideas anybody...?

okeesignguy

Not to be a :thread, but how did the replacement go? Ours is getting pretty noisy which apparently is a sign that it's life is coming to an end.

As for your issue, the fact that it worked at first then got bad makes me think that something is coming loose during the job. Any loose cables or connections to the scan motor? It would make sense for something to wiggle loose with that thing flying back and forth while printing.

The replacement went easy and fast...anybody with an allen wrench could do it...
I don't know how old your machine is but mine is about 8 years old...these motors are pretty durable, but expensive...
If yours is getting old or you suspect it is getting bad you probably should go ahead and get one because when it goes you are stuck...dead in the water...

That same file was deleted and brought back in and ripped and printed flawlessly 2 times and on the third time it did the same thing again...perfect first two dots, perfect print and then "smeared" the second set of dots...??? I don't get it...

Another two things that are happening as soon as I replaced the motor which seems completely unrelated is that one, when I open the front cover during a print it does not stop like it used to, it just keeps on printing...
And, secondly, it does not "go to sleep" when left idle, like at night, when you come in in the morning and it is "sleeping" and you hit the enter or menu button to "wake it up"...it's already "awake" if you know what I mean...

But for now it's printing and I am just getting work done but I sure would like to figure these things out...
Thanx!

okeesignguy

Good to know, thanks.

If it doesn't stop when the cover is open, it's probably the sensor on the right hand side. I've got something wedged in there so I can check on prints at will without it stopping. As for it not sleeping, I have no idea why it would have changed but there you can check the sleep interval in MENU/SUB-MENU/SLEEP/SLEEP INTERVAL and/or SETTING.

The only thing that would concern me about not going into "sleep mode" properly is it might affect the auto-clean feature, depending on how often you let the printer sit.

I don't remember what we have ours set on but it seems like it only does an auto clean every third time that it's turned on...but then again I have no idea if/when it cleans during the night. We print every day and usually I come send jobs down at some point during the weekend so I'm never too worried about it sitting and drying up. Plus auto-cleans just chug ink lol!

Some good thoughts...thank you :)

okeesignguy

That's what it was...it was still in service menu mode...killed main power and repowered...
Thanx for your help...HOWEVER I still don't know what the deal is with those crazy dots...:banghead: