• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Street Sign" Post

schlimmerkerl

Looking for a resource for a post, 4" x 4" x (at least) 12 feet. It will be set 2' in concrete footing. Must be weatherproof, non-warping, paintable, and machineable. Must be able to accept a through-mortise "paddle" approx. 50" x 1.5" (thickness) x 6".
Wood? If so, what variety? We'll be painting with Matthews, or equiv.

I've attached our concept drawing.

You'd think this would be easy, but… I'm relying on the much-smarter experts to point me in the right direction. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-05-21 at 09.06.24.png
    Screen shot 2015-05-21 at 09.06.24.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 90

schlimmerkerl

I considered aluminum, but think it would be hard to cut for the mortise for the horizontal piece. Also the client doesn't want to see the kinds of fasteners that would secure that piece externally.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With the list of things you and your client want, aluminum is your only true answer. You'll just hafta find a way to make the hole precisely how you want it and as for no visible fasteners. You realize that will make it quite difficult to change or maintain down the road, huh ??

It's a street sign. I wouldn't overthink this.