Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street signs

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by WOODBS, Dec 1, 2009.

1. WOODBS

WOODBS Very Active Member

Jun 5, 2007
    do you guys use reflective for the street names or regular vinyl? thanks

Tags:
  2. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

Get reflective green blanks from Grimco, letter with white reflective.

3. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
  4. WOODBS

WOODBS Very Active Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Thanks ... reassured

5. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Be sure to use H.I. refelctive, it is a new federal standard on traffic signs. Common engineer grade won't meet the new standards.

6. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Mosh,

Is that standard for street name signs as well? My understanding is that it was only for traffic control signs?

Gary

7. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I think that may be true, but every customer I have done them for in the last two years or so (since this new reg came out) has asked that even the street name signs be in H.I. If you are selling these to a street department I would ask them what they want. Better that getting it done and being wrong.

8. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Good point.

Gary

9. makeasign

makeasign New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    That reminds me...I saw a stop sign the other night. As I was approaching it it looked like the letters were black vinyl on red reflective. As it turns out, I realized as I stopped at this stupid sign, the fabricator of said sign, used red reflective and regular white vinyl lettering. From a distance, all you could see was your lights hitting the reflective and not see the letters at all...Just their outline.....REALLY BAD JOB!!! Be SURE to use both reflectives! Good luck!

10. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Why even mess with making STOP signs? You can buy them from Grimco for what you'd have in materials. Same with alot of standard traffic signs.