• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

stretching canvas prints

jkdbjj

So, I am quoting a job that will require a good amount of canvas printing. Which we are familiar with and do on occasion with good success.
My question is for anyone that is doing their own stretching and framing.
Is that a steep learning curve or something someone good with their hands can pickup reasonably quickly?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you planning on printing the canvas first and then stretching... or stretching your canvas, then printing ??

Now that we have the flatbed, I stretch or buy per-strecthed then print, but stretching a print is fairly easy. In school, we did it wet to make it tight like a drum, but you can also use it dry. Then we would generally apply our gesso afterwards. You'll only need a few tools and need to decide if you're gonna glue your corners together.

jkdbjj

Are you planning on printing the canvas first and then stretching... or stretching your canvas, then printing ??

Now that we have the flatbed, I stretch or buy per-strecthed then print, but stretching a print is fairly easy. In school, we did it wet to make it tight like a drum, but you can also use it dry. Then we would generally apply our gesso afterwards. You'll only need a few tools and need to decide if you're gonna glue your corners together.
Well, I'm not sure to the answers to your questions. Looks like I need to do some homework before approaching the topic.
The material we print on is coated gesso already, and I would imagine we would stretch post printing.

GWSigns

We print the canvas, spray & dry it, then stretch on frames.

It is a relatively easy process, but then we do have a gallery stretcher which helps tremendously.

We have a customer that orders stretched canvas for a national franchise so we produce 8" x 10" up to 40" x 60" for them, would not be able to do it well without the stretcher.