Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stretching the image?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by Annette Asberg, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Annette Asberg

Annette Asberg Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Aliso Viejo Californien
    My client wants his Ford Transit Connect wrapped. As you can see in the photo, the lower part of the body has a number of horizontal grooves. For the wrap to look good I believe I need to stretch the image in Illustrator before I rip and print. Can you give me some tips on how this best is done?
    Is there a formula that can be used to calculate how much "stretch" that needs to be done? Any tips are welcome! Ford.jpg

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Are you serious? Don't worry about it. You are over-thinking the small stuff. STOP IT! Your cast wrap material will stretch into the indentations without issues.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. C5 Service&Repair

C5 Service&Repair Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    be sure to post heat after stretching

• Like Like x 1
  4. Annette Asberg

Annette Asberg Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Aliso Viejo Californien
    Thanks I always do

5. JulieS

JulieS Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    Hooray for perfectionism! You go, girl! :)

6. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    If you still feel you need a math formula.a-b= c
    Measure from top to bottom with tape measure, write that down. Now take a strip of masking tape and follow in curves from top to bottom. After you pull it off and adhere it to a flat surface. Measure the length of that. Tape is a, tape measure length is b, a minus b = stretch

7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Don't worry about it. The material will stretch to fill in those grooves on their own. Only time you'd want to consider this is on a bus or something corrugated.

8. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    That is not the proper install method for that type of groove. This is more of a bridge, heat, press in type of install as these are not deep grooves so no extra material is required.

• Agree Agree x 2