• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stretching the image?

Annette Asberg

My client wants his Ford Transit Connect wrapped. As you can see in the photo, the lower part of the body has a number of horizontal grooves. For the wrap to look good I believe I need to stretch the image in Illustrator before I rip and print. Can you give me some tips on how this best is done?
Is there a formula that can be used to calculate how much "stretch" that needs to be done? Any tips are welcome!
Ford.jpg

SignosaurusRex

Are you serious? Don't worry about it. You are over-thinking the small stuff. STOP IT! Your cast wrap material will stretch into the indentations without issues.

Annette Asberg

My client wants his Ford Transit Connect wrapped. As you can see in the photo, the lower part of the body has a number of horizontal grooves. For the wrap to look good I believe I need to stretch the image in Illustrator before I rip and print. Can you give me some tips on how this best is done?
Is there a formula that can be used to calculate how much "stretch" that needs to be done? Any tips are welcome! View attachment 141685
Is there a formula that can be used to calculate how much "stretch" that needs to be done? Any tips are welcome! View attachment 141685
be sure to post heat after stretching
be sure to post heat after stretching
Thanks I always do

Johnny Best

If you still feel you need a math formula.a-b= c
Measure from top to bottom with tape measure, write that down. Now take a strip of masking tape and follow in curves from top to bottom. After you pull it off and adhere it to a flat surface. Measure the length of that. Tape is a, tape measure length is b, a minus b = stretch

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Don't worry about it. The material will stretch to fill in those grooves on their own. Only time you'd want to consider this is on a bus or something corrugated.

jfiscus

Rap Master
That is not the proper install method for that type of groove. This is more of a bridge, heat, press in type of install as these are not deep grooves so no extra material is required.