• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stroke on Text help in Photoshop

"Deposit Please"

I'm using PS CS4. I'm adding stroke to text with sharp corners w/ blending options. The stroke seems to lose the sharp edges on the text & becomes rounded. Any tricks around this to get sharp stroke edges as i want to work directly in photoshop for this effect. I tried "Center" for position on stroke, but lose text. I also tried "Refine Edge > expand with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• SHARP CORNER LOST.jpg
    SHARP CORNER LOST.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 148

adkmaid

boy ya got me

I have been playing with this for a while now and it is baffling me too. the only thing i could do is add to the outline with a square block brush same color. i know its not what you are looking for but in the meantime it works.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Bigdawg

Just Me
No way I know of to make it NOT round off or angle off.

usually do my background in photoshop and add text, etc in Illy for that very reason.

"Deposit Please"

Thanks for the replies. In the meantime, i'm Gonna use illy for the stroke. If anybody figures it out in photoshop, let us know, thanks

phototec

I don't think adding a stroke to text with sharp corners using the blending options in PhotoShop can be done, because PhotoShop uses bitmap selections to add the stroke effect and the process increases the radius as you make the stroke larger (rounding the corners).

I always use Illustrator to accomplish the sharp corner stroke effect for text, Illy uses a vector method, keeping the corners sharp.

In my attached example, to the right of yours, the text was created in Illy, duplicated the text layer, converted the text to OUTLINE, (object) (path), offset path to create the stroke, filled stroke with color.

Copied the outline with stroke, pasted it into PhotoShop as a SMART OBJECT, so it is completely sizable as a vector object, maintaining the sharp corners.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• SHARP CORNER CREATED copy.jpg
    SHARP CORNER CREATED copy.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 89

bornover

If you don't have Illustrator or don't want to use it, one way to do it is with the type mask tool in Photoshop. You type your text using one of the type mask tools which creates a selection of your text. Convert the selection to a path on the paths tab, then fill the path with your base color, then stroke the path using a hard square brush with your stroke color. One of the nice things about this is that your path remains and it is a vector object so you can resize if you want later. You do have to re-fill and re-stroke though.

showcase 66

If you put the stroke on the inside it will give you sharp edges. It shrinks the text a little but you will get a sharp edge.