• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stroke/Outline keeps changing?

GoodPeopleFlags

A design company sent me a customer's logo. I opened it, it's vecotored, everything's great. But when I make it bigger, the outline around the letters gets smaller: thinner and closer to the letters. When I make the logo smaller, the outline gets bigger: thicker and farther away from the letters. How do I keep it the same all the time?

I'm using CorelDraw 12. The file is an .ai and I don't have Illustrator.

Since it's going to be printed anyway, I guess I could raster it but I'd like to know the real way to deal with it. Thanks!

Bill43mx

When you open in Corel and select the outline does it show in Corel as an outline? If it does then just go to the outline tool flyout, click the outline pen dialogue, and check the "scale with image" box.

gnemmas

That design co. has amateur designer on staff. Seasoned designer will always make the outline "scale with image".

GoodPeopleFlags

The thing is, I have several pink objects mixed in with objects of other colors and I need to change all of the pink ones to a different pink. Selecting each one individually can be done but I was hoping for an easier, faster way to do it.

That's cool about tabbing to each object, tho! Thank you!

iSign

If it weren't for all the flack I'll catch from the Corel fans I'd say just buy Illustrator, because I think it is the industry standard vector creation program for a reason.

The "reason" isn't to say that it is superior, it's just different, but only one program can be "the standard" and Illustrator happens to be it.

As a result of that, you will continue to receive .ai files that may require editing that just might be easier to do in the native program.

After years of banging your head against the wall resolving this sort of issue with Corel, the cost of Illustrator might end up the less expensive way to go.

I'd imagine Corel has a similar feature, but in Illustrator you would select one pink stroke & then "select same stroke color" to speed up the multiple selection process.

vid

Thanks!!!

One more question: Is it possible to select objects by color?

Yes.... ummmmmmmmmmmm maybe.

There's three ways that I try.

Good
1. Under the Edit Menu>Find and Replace>New Search>Select your parameters from the menu list..... could be cumbersome---sometimes it finds what I'm looking for.

Better
2. From the Tools Menu> open the Color Styles Menu
> Select the folder with the name of the file you're working with.
> If it opens with a bunch of swatches, select and delete them to start fresh. (Corel may have loaded swatches from previous files.)
> Return to your image and Select All (the whole design) and drag it to the Color Styles palette. It will load every color from the design.
> In the Color Styles palette select the pink (or color you want to change) and then press the Edit Color Style button in that same palette.

You will be able to change the color by selecting the model/mixer or palette from there.

Best
My preferred method---
Export the file as an AI and open in Illustrator and follow iSigns' instructions. :rolleyes:

I'd also second the plan to get Illustrator. There are any number of gremlins that lurk between the two applications that can wreak havoc going between the programs.... From Illustrator to Corel, the issues I've dealt with are kerning, filled open paths, raster effects, clipping paths, embedded/linked objects --- all not playing nice.

That design co. has amateur designer on staff. Seasoned designer will always make the outline "scale with image".

That's actually a default in how CorelDraw opens/imports Illustrator files. Unless you know to open the pen tool and change the settings in CorelDraw, that gremlin will catch most users off guard... Don't ask me how many #^(@%$@ times I've had to remember that &$#^*% lesson...