• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Struggling with this logo!!!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Don't laugh at this attempt, please. It's driving me insane. What the heck does a top of a tree look like? Trying to make a P from a tree trunk and the R part to look like a river. This might be beyond my skills. Is the top of the P too high? Something looks weird...or maybe the whole thing is bad?
Colors not set in stone, just getting a rough draft at this point but I'm dying here! He doesn't want leaves but wants it to look like the top of a tree. Not asking for anyone to do this for me, just perhaps some guidance. Maybe the river should be more flowy...I didn't really do anything with it. IDK...this one has me stumped and drowning...lol

Attachments

• Help!.jpg
    Help!.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 773

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your letters are kinda misshapen. Your 'P' portion had a different weight from the truck and the leg of the 'R' has still yet, another weight.

It's a good start and you're almost there.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Your letters are kinda misshapen. Your 'P' portion had a different weight from the truck and the leg of the 'R' has still yet, another weight.

It's a good start and you're almost there.
OK, that makes sense, I'll keep trying! Thanks!

unclebun

Trying to make the round part of a P look like a tree's crown will be tricky. Google image search for tree vector and you'll see how people represent a tree's crown. Making one that only goes to one side will be a tough thing to make look representative of a tree.

2B

instead of having them face the same direction, have you tried mirrowimaging one of the letters?

Attachments

• RP.png
    RP.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 566

Joe House

I really am the last person you want to take design advice from:confused:, but what if you started with something like this:
upload_2019-9-5_17-16-55.png

Or just do it with bare branches, like it's windswept:
upload_2019-9-5_17-18-13.png

Just a starting point for you, like I said, I'm a mechanic, not an artist.:pops_blinking:

Good Luck

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The "P" and the "R" are already symbols, presumably representing the name of the business. Turning them into symbols of trees and rivers gives them an additional symbolic meaning, which runs cross-current to the original symbolic meaning. That automatically sets up a rejection in the viewers mind. The better you are able to make the dual symbols work, stronger the confusion will be.

Making letters into symbolic or representation images that deliver additional messages is usually a difficult design strategy to pull off. When it works, it can be very effective (the effect is usually subtle, see samples). When it doesn't work, or if the "hidden meaning" becomes the dominant message, it typically looks terrible.

https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/famous-brand-logos-hidden-meanings/

http://parrishtheartist.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-favorite-so-far.html

shoresigns

Is it supposed to be just an R, or are you trying to make one symbol that represents a P and an R? If it's the latter, it's not going to work – no one will read it as RP or PR when they're combined.

Johnny's idea with the vine wrapping around the trunk is nice. The first thing I would have tried to fix OP's drawing would be to change the upper curve of the R to be part of the river instead of part of the tree, i.e. a continuous river from the top of the trunk, curving out and then into the leg of the R.

Stacey K

I like making signs
So inaccurate as far as FEDEX. Everyone knows they started as the Fedex teaspoon company, hence kerning being all smooshed and the e and d touching, forming a spoon.

But I'm one the believe most logos need to be fully represented when produced in one color, as well as a full color print. If the river and tree cannot be distinguished when the colors are all the same, then, well, I guess I just won't like it. Just my two cents.
I agree with you that this needs to be distinguished as one color also. Good point on the river.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I really like Johnny Bests idea, and this should be able to be distinguished as one color also. I'm going to keep working on this as this is sparking some new ideas. I'll try and post once we have something finalized. Thank you everyone!!!

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
So inaccurate as far as FEDEX. Everyone knows they started as the Fedex teaspoon company, hence kerning being all smooshed and the e and d touching, forming a spoon.
I will never be able to "un-see" that spoon.....

kelvinkally

Don't laugh at this attempt, please. It's driving me insane. What the heck does a top of a tree look like? Trying to make a P from a tree trunk and the R part to look like a river. This might be beyond my skills. Is the top of the P too high? Something looks weird...or maybe the whole thing is bad?
Colors not set in stone, just getting a rough draft at this point but I'm dying here! He doesn't want leaves but wants it to look like the top of a tree. Not asking for anyone to do this for me, just perhaps some guidance. Maybe the river should be more flowy...I didn't really do anything with it. IDK...this one has me stumped and drowning...lol
upload_2019-12-3_3-53-24.png

shoresigns

One of the reasons you're stuck on this is because the concept itself is confusing. Is it an R or a P? It looks like it could be either, or both. No one who sees this is going to know for sure what it says, because it could easily be interpreted as any of the following:
  • P Landscaping
  • R Landscaping
  • PR Landscaping
  • RP Landscaping
It's not a strong concept and you should have gone back to the drawing board a long time ago.