• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stubborn Nozzles - Acuity

HaroldDesign

Sorry! I posted this in the wrong area before...

I've done as much as I can with the vacuum & wiping the heads with fluid. I have one Cyan & one Yellow nozzle I can't get to fire. It isn't really a visible problem in the prints, but I can't stand to run less than 100%. Anyone know of something else to try?
thank%20you.gif

MikePro

why wipe the heads? its really just pushing the crud up into the nozzles.
i don't know your printer, but is there a head soak mode? overnight soaks and a thourough cleaning as always gotten me back to 100%.

i've known users, that have machines that don't have a head soak function, that soak coffee filters in cleaning solution and park the heads on top of it.

HaroldDesign

No head soak mode. These heads do get wiped down. There are two heads for each color. I'll try soaking when I have a chance, but that could be a while. This sucker doesn't stop running.

dethsky

I'm having the same problem with my Cyan, I have 3 nozzles out on it and its been over a week that I have been trying to get them back. I was told by a couple of techs at Fuji that instead of just using the Conditioner to help clean them up you can use 99% Iso-Alcohol (I use 100%). Just beware not leave the alcohol on your heads for an extended amount of time because it can actually dry out the ink in the heads since it evaporates so quickly. I have used the alcohol to clean up my White Print Heads and it has work very well. I would advise to clean and vacuum 1 color at a time when using the alcohol. Always purge and vacuum first before you swap or use wipes. Like the previous guy said if there is any debris on the heads and you wipe them before you vacuum it may end up shoving a piece of dirt or dust into your heads making the problem worse.

This is the way I clean

1.Nozzle Check
2. Purge
3. Vacuum
4. Nozzle Check
Then if need be

5. Purge
6. Use a wipe or swap with alcohol, make sure you change the position of the swap or wipe so you are not using the same spot twice.
7. Purge 1 more time
8. Vacuum

Hope this helps

artbot

when you are really stuck with a head clog, the head conditioning fluids are not the right solvents. they melt ink. but if the ink is hardened, all you end up with is gum. use NMP to clean out a head that just won't clean up. NMP has saved so many "dead" heads for me. it disintegrates the ink particles into silt. i've used it in CA4w heads and it has no ill effect. it did melt my drain hose though. which i simply replaced with a blacked out polyethylene hose instead. your drain hose may already be made of PE.

http://www.sprayfoamnation.net/product/AC-250830-1

dethsky

Question about NMP

So you say that this "NMP" can help with cleaning out printer heads. N-Methyl 2 Pyrrolidone is a solvent much like paint stripper. This would would great in solvent printers, but does it work well with UV printers? [h=3][/h]

API

Is it the same nozzle every time? Or is it one nozzle missing but every time you do a clean it moves to either the front or back of the head? If it is always in the same spot then it could be a damaged nozzle from head strike or contaminate. If it moves then it is just trash and you can keep cleaning and eventually get it clear.

I was told by a Fuji tech to do an ink flush for that particular color. It take a long time and wastes just about a complete bag of ink. I was also told to soak a swab in flushing fluid and hold it against the head in the spot of the missing nozzle for about 30 seconds. Then purge and vacuum the head. His theory was that the neg. pressure would slowly pull the solvent into the clogged nozzle potentially clearing it. Good luck and hope this helps.

artbot

1. the solvent NMP is the same solvent that is used in HP latex ink to bite the surface. it's used in cleaning styro-spray gun systems and also quickly breaks down cured powder coat. you'd think that it would damage the
head but the two uv heads that i've used it in, it's done nothing but make them very clean when all else failed.

as for purging cleaning fluid into the head, just set up a syringe and plug the cleaning solution right before the "last chance filter". there's no need to run it through the whole printer.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Do you think this would be safe to use on the Toshiba Tec CA4W heads on an Océ Arizona?
The white heads can be difficult to unclog at times.
I'd just want to dip a swab in NMP, hold it against the nozzles for 60 secs or so, then do a purge.

artbot

don't use any sponge based swabs with NMP. they are not solvent resistant enough and will melt quickly. test any method you choose. i have successfully purged ca4w heads with nmp by forcing the fluid through the head via the ink tube ahead of the last chance filter. that is your best bet. keep in mind that although the heads were better for it, the drain tube on my cleaning station melted and was replaced with black polyethylene tubing.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Thanks artbot. I'll see what else is available around the workshop that won't melt. Don't really want to be pumping the NMP thru the heads so I'll just try some bathing for a minute or so and see how it goes.

tollerdad

Are you sure all air is out of you lines by purging the larger ink filters? No bubbles should come out when purging that filter, just a full stream of ink.

dethsky

Artbot,

I used the syringe method you suggested with conditioning fluid and it brought back 1 of the 4 nozzles I had out. Do you use the NMP as a flush thru the print head? I have some on the way and I will try wiping with the NMP first. Also do you put some pressure behind the syringe or do you just push it in gently? Just curious because in my logic if I give it more pressure it will unblock a clogged nozzle better. Anyways give me your procedure/thoughts you have been pretty helpful up to this point, so I thank you!