• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stud mounting hdu

AKProbeGT

I need to stud mount a hdu sign to a block wall. The sign will be about 48" square and 1" thick. It needs to stand off the wall about 1.5". I'm planning using at least 18lb hdu but I'm still concerned about the studs ripping out of the hdu. I could put a piece of dibond on the back and I think that would help but I'm not sure its enough. Any suggestions for doing this? The sign will be about 15' in the air so I need to know for sure it isnt falling down.

Eric H

Drill oversize holes in the back of the sign and epoxy the studs in. Or through bolt it with spacers on the back and hide the fasteners on the face. Guess it kind of depends on the design of the sign and where its being mounted.

SignManiac

Drill oversize holes in the back of the sign and epoxy the studs in. Or through bolt it with spacers on the back and hide the fasteners on the face. Guess it kind of depends on the design of the sign and where its being mounted.

+1 on this advice

MikePro

dibond on the back should add a bit of rigidity, you may have just gotten away with a LOT of studs and gorillaglue. As deep into the HDU as you can afford.
but since the dibond is there, use threaded rod with nuts on both sides of the dibond, with countersunk stud holes in the HDU to fit. Gorillaglue & clamp, don't skimp on the studs, and you'll be more than fine assuming the sign doesn't take any hard hits or accumulate a lot of ice.

When we do use HDU for signs, we'll usually secure via 1/8" aluminum faces/elements with welded studs through the HDU. Thus making the cheap/thick HDU the meat and durable aluminum the bones of the sign structure.

AKProbeGT

dibond on the back should add a bit of rigidity, you may have just gotten away with a LOT of studs and gorillaglue. As deep into the HDU as you can afford.
but since the dibond is there, use threaded rod with nuts on both sides of the dibond, with countersunk stud holes in the HDU to fit. Gorillaglue & clamp, don't skimp on the studs, and you'll be more than fine assuming the sign doesn't take any hard hits or accumulate a lot of ice.

When we do use HDU for signs, we'll usually secure via 1/8" aluminum faces/elements with welded studs through the HDU. Thus making the cheap/thick HDU the meat and durable aluminum the bones of the sign structure.

I like these ideas. Thanks.

FS-Keith

we router out the backs to accept .25 alum flat stock and glue it in and drill and tap the alum for studs. works great