• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Student Safety when Cutting?

jimgoodwin

Hello all, I've been using this site as a resource for years and I have learned a great deal from the community. I figured it was time to ask a question myself.

I teach high school graphic arts, and along with laser engraving, photography, and screen printing, we have a full vinyl signmaking shop in my classroom. This year I am getting a lot more serious about this part of my program because I just got a Mutoh 1204 so we can do some real printing now.
The thing that is concerning me a little is student safety when it comes to cutting banner material and posters with a straightedge. I do have the students using a "Big Blue" safety ruler and cutting mat, but after reading about people here slicing off their fingertips, I think there might be a better solution out there. Also, my students can't cut a straight line with a straight edge and utility knife or x-acto for anything. Scalloping and terrible jagged edges have ruined more than one banner so far this year. What would you recommend to make clean cuts up to 48” long on banner material? Rotary trimmers? Something like a KeenCut? What have you worked with and what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

SebastienL

This is an illustration I did in school. Feel free to use it!

Attachments

• Attention.jpg
    Attention.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 68

jimgoodwin

Wayne, I totally get that it is an essential skill, but the reality is that maybe 1 in 100 students will go on to do this type of work in the future. I will make sure that one student can do it blindfolded and they will be a superstar. It is just the majority of my students make me cringe whenever they start cutting material and I think it may be a liability if there are safer alternatives.

RJS, have you used that cutter? It seems much more economical than most of the other ones I had my eye on. I'd be concerned about it lasting... although it looks pretty solid.

Sebastien, do you have a vector version?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited:

SebastienL

Wayne, I totally get that it is an essential skill, but the reality is that maybe 1in 100 students will go on to do this type of work in the future. I will make sure that that student can do it blindfolded and they will be a superstar. It is just the majority of my students make me cringe whenever they start cutting material.

RJS, have you used that cutter? It seems much more economical than most of the other ones I had my eye on. I'd be concerned about it lasting... although it looks pretty solid.

Sebastien, do you have a vector version?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I do have it in vector... but it is at home. I'll post it tonight for you.

I know what you mean. Back in school, there was maybe 3 of us out of 22 students that could use a blade. I also cringed (and ran out of the room) when I saw someone trying to cut 1/4" foamcore with an Exacto knife.

Maxphobia

u could have them cut with a sharp pair of scissors may not look as clean but if they are really sharp u can do it fairly fast and scissors are something that a student would be use to useing and less likely to lose anything

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I had a wood-shop teacher when I was in junior high who had a few digits missing down to various knuckles along with two fingers..... and he could still do his job. What's the beef about cutting off unnecessary parts ?? :popcorn:

Seriously, I wouldn't want any kind of blades or anything around kids these days. In my area, I'd be afraid they'd be taking them home and making weapons out of them.... or just using them while traveling the halls between classes.
A Keen or Fletcher cutter is a much better choice. Just that you must keep an eye on someone using it, so they don't ruin it, as they are expensive and with schools systems quickly cutting back, it could be an unnecessary item.​

rjssigns

I haven't used the US Cutter Mondo. In practical terms even if the cutter part isn't that good you will still end up with a nice straightedge.

Robin Canaday

Mythic Signs Portland - General Manager / Owner
Train them how NOT to cut off their fingertips, then if they *do* so, they will hopefully remember the experience and pay attention when someone is training them to use power saws and routers safely.

A graphics production person worth her salt should know how to cut a straight edge with standard tools...

rjssigns

Train them how NOT to cut off their fingertips, then if they *do* so, they will hopefully remember the experience and pay attention when someone is training them to use power saws and routers safely.

A graphics production person worth her salt should know how to cut a straight edge with standard tools...

You are missing the liability/babysitting part. He is trying to minimize exposure to litigation. It is not his job to train them to be master sign crafters.

In this day and age where many take zero responsibility for their actions it is good practice to CYA.

jimgoodwin

Issue Solved!

After weighing my options, I went with the mondo trimmer from US Cutter. I got the 60" version and I'm quite happy with my purchase. It uses standard replaceable blades rather than expensive proprietary blades. It's wider and sturdier than I thought, cuts a perfect line, and allows for adjustable depth of cutting. I'm going to try cutting some thicker material (coroplast, mat board, foamcore) but I think it will do great. Students have been using it, they feel much more comfortable and I think they are much safer. Thanks for the input everyone!

Now it looks like I need a bigger table and cutting mat.

Jim.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
As an alternative you could clad the little darlings cap-a-pie in armor.

First, a blade that won't sever a finger won't cut anything else either.

Second, one of the skills you learn in this trade is to set and xacto knife down and pull it along in a perfectly straight line without benefit of a straight edge. It's a learned skill and anyone can do it. So should your students.

Sigma Signs

When i was a teenager working in restaurants I noticed they had chain-mail gloves. This would be a great solution to practicing the straight edge method.