• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stupid stupid printer

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Isn't the L260 supposed to tell you when your waste ink container is full?? Just cleaned up the aftermath of an OVERFLOWING container...no warning, no signal. I guess HP didn't think of everything on these printers.

Isn't the L260 supposed to tell you when your waste ink container is full?? Just cleaned up the aftermath of an OVERFLOWING container...no warning, no signal. I guess HP didn't think of everything on these printers.

No if you go to the web server and there is a maintenance kit that includes the waste ink containter but it won't tell you if it's full or not. When you use the maintenance kit they want you to replace the container also. There is no sensor on the bucket. Major PITA if you ask me. We had the same issue on the L25500 and ink went all over the place. Plus by the time you find out there is ink on the floor. you then have to tilt the bucket to get it out which spills more ink all over the place. The 300 series the waste ink container is combined underneath the toilet paper roll so you replace both at the same time. Much smaller container though. Thus the problem has been solved.

eahicks

Yeah I had to lay down an old banner and paper towels underneath because I figured ink would be everywhere. I was not disappointed. Luckily my main supply house is just a mile away and had a new container in stock.

Yeah I had to lay down an old banner and paper towels underneath because I figured ink would be everywhere. I was not disappointed. Luckily my main supply house is just a mile away and had a new container in stock.

Just remember Maint Kit Replace means you might need to replace the bucket also. Easy way around this is to put a 5 gal bucket under the back of the machine. Route the tube down to the bucket. It will be easy to tell when the 5 gal bucket gets closer to being full as the top is open. The only problem is disposal. HP will give you free disposal boxes and shipping for the appropriate container but there is no way to ship the 5 gal bucket. So you either dump it illegally. Or paint and ink can be thrown in trash as long as it's dry SOoooo....

For our the leftovers (we do this for our striping paint). Hollow( Remove the inside and top planks) a 4x4 pallet out. Line the inside of the pallet with thick black tarp. Pour ink out over the tarp and let it dry. Then fold up tarp and throw away once there is too much paint. We do this multiple times before we throw it away.

bgraphix

I've experienced this once before :covereyes: It was so bad it was I had to take apart and clean the parts above the container because it was somewhat dried up and gooey. Learn something new the hard way :Big Laugh

Baz

Here i am mumbling to myself how annoying it is for my Roland to remind me to check the waist bottle every week or so (It can be a quarter full and it will still notify).

Guess i should be happy.

eahicks

That's why you should go Roland. It only overflows all over the floor. You can empty the plastic bottle and reuse it.

We have a Roland too. At least I can SEE the level of that one.

SolitaryT

That's like waiting to change the oil in your car until the oil light comes on. Some things you have to be vigilant about.

eahicks

That's like waiting to change the oil in your car until the oil light comes on. Some things you have to be vigilant about.

Well not necessarily. With this printer, they sell it as "it will tell you whenever anything needs to be changed"...ink, cleaning cartridge, heads, maintenance kit. So...one would assume something as simple as a full waste container would be one of THOSE things. And this particular container is neither easy to get to, nor easy to see what level it is. They do tell you in the manual to replace it when you do replace the head cleaning kit, but I've replaced that kit at least 3 times and this is is the first time I've had to change the container.

Well not necessarily. With this printer, they sell it as "it will tell you whenever anything needs to be changed"...ink, cleaning cartridge, heads, maintenance kit. So...one would assume something as simple as a full waste container would be one of THOSE things. And this particular container is neither easy to get to, nor easy to see what level it is. They do tell you in the manual to replace it when you do replace the head cleaning kit, but I've replaced that kit at least 3 times and this is is the first time I've had to change the container.

Yes with the head cleaning kit thats it. I remember them saying there is absorbent material in the container. The container is supposed to be changed before the absorbent material is full. Not necessarily when the container is full. So even though it might go months and months longer. The ink is no longer being absorbed it's just filling the container. That way when you ship it there is less chance of ink leaking out as you can turn the container upside down and the absorbent material will hold the ink in. Just something I heard from a Tech.

Desert_Signs

So you're saying if you follow the directions, the waste container will never overflow? I tetsting concept.

I have an L310. I probably need to research this.
There is no need to. With the 300 generations they took the bucket off the back of the machine and built a smaller version into the bottom of the maint. cartridge. The maint. cart has a life and the machine will tell you when it is up. So everytime you replace you are replacing the bucket that caused this problem. Also the funnel is attached to the maint cartridge also so there is no need to buy new funnels every once in awhile. Also since the funnel was located on the platen it cause problems with getting ink places and would get jammed and not come out. All of this has been changed with the new maint cartridge. That is why the new one for the 300 series is so much thicker then the previous models.

FrankW

Actually, Roland will warn you to check it if you run a Heavy cleaning. But again, it is easy to see and check on the fly.

Yes, you're right, but you can ignore it (just enter).

But: with the new latex there is no waste ink bottle anymore. The user will get rid of the waste ink when replacing the maintenance cartridge.

Vinyldog

That is a great design feature. And the best result of it is that I'll no longer keep fifty gallons of waste-ink sitting around thinking someday I'll find a use for it.