• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sub-Surface Graphics without a Flat Bed Printer?

Pacific Sign

Hello Everyone!,

A customer want's to order a large (48"x48") 1/4" acrylic sign. They want the graphics applied sub-surface to the acrylic. On another note, the sign will be exposed to the elements.

How would you go about making a sign like this? We have a Mimaki JV3-160SP that can print up to 63" with solvent inks. We have a Titan Cold/Hot laminator that can laminate up to 63".

Here's my idea:
1. Print graphic in reverse onto 3M Clear.
2. Laminate graphic with White Vinyl.
3. Apply the graphic with the help of the laminator onto the acrylic.

Has anyone else done anything similiar? any tips on what products I should use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Letterbox Mike

We do that regularly, but be aware, there is minimal UV protection with this method. If you want to get maximum fade resistance, print onto laminate instead of clear vinyl, or mount your clear print to laminate, and mount that to the acrylic.

Sign Eagle

We print on clear laminate and the use white laminate over the ink. Works great for subsurface acrylic and inside windows.

Pacific Sign

Thank you guy's for the quick response, I greatly appreciate it. Once I finish the sign I'll post a picture in this thread.

Thanks a bunch once again!