• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sublimated brass plates?

Hi Everyone -

We're trying to provide 2"x3" brass plates for use on some custom awards we make here. We've looked at rotary engraving machines but don't want to pay out thousands for one. I think we've settled on sublimation.

Can anyone recommend a machine that will help us out? I'd simply like to print black letters on a brass plate. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Drip Dry

Richoh printer. Works great and doesn't have the issues that others have had.

Got mine from RPL graphics in New Jersey.

Ask for Michael. He owns the company and is very Knowledgeable and willing to help.

Dakotagrafx

Ricoh here also - got mine from conde -service is great. I had a printer die and they send a loaner until my bigger model came back in stock. for what you are talking about the GX e3300N would work great and at a lower cost

Thanks Guys - is it really as simple as printing it out then pressing it and the plate in a heat press? Have never done it and am trying to figure out how to set up the process for my staff.

CES020

Yes, that's about how simple it is. Also a Ricoh here. Been very happy with it and Conde as well.

You just have to get the time dialed in for the material. Too much time and too little time will make it look brown or fuzzy. Get the right time and it'll be black and crisp.

WildWestDesigns

Yes, that's about how simple it is. Also a Ricoh here. Been very happy with it and Conde as well.

You just have to get the time dialed in for the material. Too much time and too little time will make it look brown or fuzzy. Get the right time and it'll be black and crisp.

Don't forget to dial in the pressure as well. Time, temp, and pressure are your 3 key variables that will vary depending on the item you are sublimating.

GB2

Old Member
For anyone who is recommending those Ricoh printers, I was wondering if they have to be run constantly to stay in good working order or can they sit for a few days at a time. Also, do they require any maintenance?

CES020

I guess we've had our Ricoh for a little over a year or so (from memory). We leave it turned on, we may use it several days in a row, then it might sit for a couple of weeks, then we'll use it again. Never had any issue with clogging or anything or that sort. It's not like the Epson's, that's for sure.

We don't do anything to it. Just send jobs to it. That's all we've done.

WildWestDesigns

I guess we've had our Ricoh for a little over a year or so (from memory). We leave it turned on, we may use it several days in a row, then it might sit for a couple of weeks, then we'll use it again. Never had any issue with clogging or anything or that sort. It's not like the Epson's, that's for sure.

We don't do anything to it. Just send jobs to it. That's all we've done.

+1 just about all of the above. Mine doesn't sit for weeks on end, but it does sit for a time. Long enough that it would have clogged the Epson that's for sure.

BobCap

Epson slams

Hey guys.

I've been doing sublimation for a few years now. I originally bought an Epson Workforce 30 to try to see if we even had a market for sublimation.

I figured @ $70 bucks it was a disposable printer.

I did add a CSS to solve the cost of individual ink carts.

I still use that same printer!

It will sit for several weeks without use and then I'll run the sh*t out of it.

Work's for me.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

WildWestDesigns

Hey guys.

I've been doing sublimation for a few years now. I originally bought an Epson Workforce 30 to try to see if we even had a market for sublimation.

I figured @ $70 bucks it was a disposable printer.

I did add a CSS to solve the cost of individual ink carts.

I still use that same printer!

It will sit for several weeks without use and then I'll run the sh*t out of it.

Work's for me.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

You might find some good ones that will stand the test, however, statistically speaking the Epson ones do run the greater risk of clogging.

Just like running white ink on a DTG printer. You might get one that doesn't have issues with long sit time, but more often then not, you will get one that will plug up if you aren't doing enough dark garments with it. Or at least using white for some element in the design.

digitalwoodshop

This is a older post but I have the most cost effective answer for this NEED...

They make BLACK Sublimation TONER for a few LASER PRINTERS. I have been doing Sublimation for 5 years and reading lots about it....

This Black ONLY option would be the BEST FIT....

Eliminated the INK issues that we are all familiar with....

Between Sawmill Creek and Engraving Etc Forums on the topic of BLACK ON BRASS.... It gets the Big THUMBS UP.....

As long as the Brass has a POLY coating on it... A un coated Brass and Sublimation will not work....

Good Luck,

AL

http://sublibrite.com/

http://sublibrite.com/id30.html