• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sublimation equipment advice needed

feckmo

Hi All,

My partner and I have decided to seriously look into sublimation printing for a new product line. Our needs are prints up to 48" by 36" or so, usually one-sided but sometimes double-sided. We currently own a Roland XR-640, a Roland XC-540, an Epson GS-6000 eco-solvent and a Canon iPF8300 aqueous. Our vendor has recommended a dye sub setup including a Roland RE-640 with Sensient bulk ink system and a Geo Knight 64" manual heat press.

The demo prints we've seen from this setup have been nothing short of remarkable, but I know Rolands tend to be comparatively expensive. That said, I am partial to Roland since they've proven to be all but bullet-proof in our shop and we're fairly well standardized to VersaWorks already for our high production output. However, I'm still wondering if there is a similar, more cost-effective setup we might consider? Also, would we be better served over the long run by getting an air-assisted double-sided heat press so we can also offer fully sublimated apparel, etc?

I guess I'm just looking for opinions on what we should be considering and if a top and bottom heating press will open up many more doors for other sales opportunities we haven't considered yet.

Many thanks for any advice!

BESTBLANKS

Sublimation Printing - Large Format

Hi All,

My partner and I have decided to seriously look into sublimation printing for a new product line. Our needs are prints up to 48" by 36" or so, usually one-sided but sometimes double-sided. We currently own a Roland XR-640, a Roland XC-540, an Epson GS-6000 eco-solvent and a Canon iPF8300 aqueous. Our vendor has recommended a dye sub setup including a Roland RE-640 with Sensient bulk ink system and a Geo Knight 64" manual heat press.

The demo prints we've seen from this setup have been nothing short of remarkable, but I know Rolands tend to be comparatively expensive. That said, I am partial to Roland since they've proven to be all but bullet-proof in our shop and we're fairly well standardized to VersaWorks already for our high production output. However, I'm still wondering if there is a similar, more cost-effective setup we might consider? Also, would we be better served over the long run by getting an air-assisted double-sided heat press so we can also offer fully sublimated apparel, etc?

I guess I'm just looking for opinions on what we should be considering and if a top and bottom heating press will open up many more doors for other sales opportunities we haven't considered yet.

Many thanks for any advice!

Hello, perhaps we can help. One the most cost effective large format solutions that is a rock solid platform are the Epson T Series printers. These are used with SubliJet E inks. There are three printer choices. The largest printer T-7000 can print up to 44". The sublimation inks are a plug in cartridge system so no bulk ink system is needed. This solution is very cost effective, easy to use and maintain. Also there are Epson rebates for these printers that are going on plus a sublimation ink promotion. This adds up to over $1,300.00 in instant savings so take a look at this while these promotions are active. Please see this link for these printers; http://www.bestblanks.com/epsonprinters.html

For the large format heat press, the Geo Knight Maxi Press models are an excellent choice. Depending on the volume you plan to do and your budget we can help you decide if the manual or air automatic makes sense. We are a major distributor of all Geo Knight heat presses (as well as many other brands) and these two models are the best most popular choices for the money. Please see these links for the two Geo Knight Maxi heat presses:
http://www.bestblanks.com/geoknightmaxipress.html
http://www.bestblanks.com/maxipressair.html

For the complete line of large format heat presses see this link: http://www.bestblanks.com/oversizedpresses.html

We are very knowledgeable in sublimation printing solutions for both desktop and large format and we are glad to answer any questions you have.
Please feel free to call us at 888-431-7385 or 954-989-1250

Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com

Burtoncorp

I am using the Roland RE-640 with the Sensient Bulk system. Love it. It's been installed for close to a year and I have only replaced one print head cap. Very reliable compared to an Epson system. Vivid colors and better light fastness compared to Sawgrass inks.

Jake

nate

Sensient Inks are light years better than Sawgrass. We started with Sawgrass, moved to Graphics One and then changed to sensient. We wouldn't look back.

Dave Philipps

I see you that you are looking into getting into dye sub printing, it is too bad you could not make it to our Open House last week but we still have all the equipment in our shop and you are more then welcome to come down and look at the equipment.

While we do no sell Roland , which is a fine product, we do offer the Mutoh line and the Mutoh 1638W won the SGIA printer of the year award in the dye sub catergory in 2013 I would like to stress that we are a service company with a sound reputation in the industry for our service an have sold over 350 Mutoh Valuejet printers.

We are realtively local to you and would love to have you come down and see what we have to offer. Here is a link to our Facebook page which shows a portion of our showroom and all the equipment we keep on the floor.

htttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681669205220942&setpb.10018683369260.-2207520000.1403707711.&theater

It also appears that I my be visiting with one of our Flora flatbed customers next week and they are not far from you, possibly I could stop by and visit and discuss your needs. Or you can reach me here in our office.

Thanks

Atomic DNA

My next printer will be a Mutoh 1638W. I have a few large format 44" Epsons and even though they are great (slow) printers, the ability to work on them as compared to a Roland or Mutoh is somewhat difficult. Sometimes my tech just can't make it in a timely fashion and I'm a hands-on kind of guy. I like being able to access capping stations, wipers, heads or whatever on a regular basis and loved it on the Versacamm I had a few years back. Epson sucks in this regard. I'm using Jteck inks and love them. Haven't tried Sensient.

alias1

dye sub printing

I would suggest the mutoh 1638w a very good printer though their inks are not the best. As for inks Sensient for their easy loading and colour intensity.

Atomic DNA

The Mutoh 1638wx has been a great printer for us. We have been running it since January and I can say that I have been really impressed with the printing speeds and ease of maintenance.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
+1 on the Mutoh 1638 or 2638. These machines, whether set up as solvent or dye sublimation, are probably the most solid machines I have worked with as far as reliability and ease of use goes. With all the major brands having the same or similar speed, quality and price point, Mutoh has my vote for reliability.

kkamauu

I see you that you are looking into getting into dye sub printing, it is too bad you could not make it to our Open House last week but we still have all the equipment in our shop and you are more then welcome to come down and look at the equipment.

While we do no sell Roland , which is a fine product, we do offer the Mutoh line and the Mutoh 1638W won the SGIA printer of the year award in the dye sub catergory in 2013 I would like to stress that we are a service company with a sound reputation in the industry for our service an have sold over 350 Mutoh Valuejet printers.

We are realtively local to you and would love to have you come down and see what we have to offer. Here is a link to our Facebook page which shows a portion of our showroom and all the equipment we keep on the floor.

htttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681669205220942&setpb.10018683369260.-2207520000.1403707711.&theater

It also appears that I my be visiting with one of our Flora flatbed customers next week and they are not far from you, possibly I could stop by and visit and discuss your needs. Or you can reach me here in our office.

Thanks

I heard you can take the Mutoh 1638 and convert it to Sublimation is that correct? Or do you have to buy the 1638w?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I heard you can take the Mutoh 1638 and convert it to Sublimation is that correct? Or do you have to buy the 1638w?

It would be best to just buy a 1638WX. The conversation process can be done but is expensive. The other issue is Mutoh will not turn off the chip readers on the 1638 or the 1638X. Those are turned off on the 1638W and 1638WX.