• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subscription Mouse!

WildWestDesigns

Everybody excited? Logitech is thinking about a subscription for a "forever" mouse: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-a-forever-mouse-thatrequires-a-subscription/

Now, I have gone crazy with my computer hardware. I spent double (well double the last time that I had checked for a keyboard) compared to what Apple (that's right Apple) charges for theirs, but it's totally user configurable (32 layers for customization) and user serviceable with parts that have been out in general circulation for years.

I would not be excited about this.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Put $2 worth of better materials into making it, so it at least lasts longer than the average mouse, and charge $200 for it instead of $20.
Software updates? Like the stuff you already get for free now? Yeah, that seems like something everyone will just jump all over.
Seems more like just a financial gain for them than a benefit for users. :rolleyes:

WildWestDesigns

Have not used a mouse in 30 or more years.
While I haven't used a traditional form factor mouse in yrs, there are still some things (to me) that a mouse input is better for compared to the Cintiq. Just like there are some instances where keyboard shortcuts are better compared to both. It all depends what one is doing.

ikarasu

I use a Razer naga from 2010 era - The new Naga is larger... And the buttons for forward / Backward changed.

My naga broke about 5 years ago... thats when I figured out the new one was different. It hurts my wrist to use it... And I tried like 5 different mice / brands and I just couldn't find one with the Macros I need that didn't kill my wrist.

I found a guy on Ebay selling them for $200 a pop brand new.... and I bought all 5 he had. Spent close to $1000 on mice so that I never had to change the form factor again! I'd love a "Forever mouse" if it was this exact same mouse.

Same with the keyboard... It took me a year to find something comparable to my Logitech G19... Nothing is as good, I ended up with a Corsair with a whopping 6 programmable buttons. Wish I could find some new in box G19's that arent in the 1K range....

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
The whole world is going subscription based, maybe we should follow their lead?

You want that window graphic?
Sure, that will $500 up front plus $39.99/month.

What's the $39.99/mo. for you ask?
Well your displaying my hard work on your store front for all to see!

What if you don't pay the service charge?
No problem, we will come by and rip it down! That will be a $200 removal fee.

WildWestDesigns

Same with the keyboard... It took me a year to find something comparable to my Logitech G19... Nothing is as good, I ended up with a Corsair with a whopping 6 programmable buttons. Wish I could find some new in box G19's that arent in the 1K range....
I have a G19. It really only gets used to setup some PIs now, before they end up where they are going to go. Great keyboard. It doesn't have the same level of customization as the one that I have now, but the one that I have now, it is certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But I like that I can service it with widely available parts, so that is as close to "Forever" that I can get and since the drivers are built into the keyboard, it doesn't matter the OS, all my "settings"(mappings etc) are there, no matter what the device/OS that it is attached to is. Something that cannot be said about most over the counter keyboards/mice.

Hunter74

Spare Parts
I have a G19. It really only gets used to setup some PIs now, before they end up where they are going to go. Great keyboard. It doesn't have the same level of customization as the one that I have now, but the one that I have now, it is certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But I like that I can service it with widely available parts, so that is as close to "Forever" that I can get and since the drivers are built into the keyboard, it doesn't matter the OS, all my "settings"(mappings etc) are there, no matter what the device/OS that it is attached to is. Something that cannot be said about most over the counter keyboards/mice.
The Corsair K95 with a Razer Naga or Basilisk. Gives me all the G key macros to my hearts content. While the new Naga is a bigger I do like I can switch out the thumb controls as well as not have to have Howard Hughs nails to hit 5. :)

WildWestDesigns

The Corsair K95 with a Razer Naga or Basilisk. Gives me all the G key macros to my hearts content. While the new Naga is a bigger I do like I can switch out the thumb controls as well as not have to have Howard Hughs nails to hit 5. :)
32 layers with mine. Some are program specific (mainly Blender, just for different workflows) and some are for gaming (I have even mapped mouse controls to it as well), some actually have snippets for when I'm scripting or actually doing serious programming. I have more of a plain mouse nowadays because of that.

Hunter74

Spare Parts
Honestly that's why I loved CorelDraw back in the day. Record or write a VBA script that I'd just assign to a Gkey or mouse button. I know at one point a long time ago Bert Monroy was working with Logitech and Adobe developing a 3 tier puck for tool selection/effects....back on topic, subscriptions are getting out of control. Anymore you HAVE to have a sub or service contract for almost every facet of life :(

JBurton

Signtologist
I use a Razer naga from 2010 era
I was going to say my logitech performance mx is from 2010 or so. This one is like number 4 or 5, most of them still work, they've just gone to live with relatives that I often help with computer problems, but man, every other revision feels like trash, gets smaller, moves buttons, adds weird texture, and gets lighter.
Keyboard is less critical, I can crush a laptop or desktop keyboard for typing consistently, but god help you if you give me a keyboard without a standard home island and numpad. I used to have logitech wireless keyboards for no good reason, I keep so much crap on my desk that they'd get buried, pulled to the top, and teeter on a stack of pages and pens/knives. After my last one got broke by... someone, I went and picked up a logitech g413, it's clicky, heavy, and has a little usb port built in, but most importantly, it's wired, so I can't just pull it out of a mess and add it to the top, I actually have to find it.

Johnny Best

I have always used a Wacom or the touchpad on my laptop. JBurton., you could put an antenia on your keyboard and put some fake flowers on top so you can find your keyboard like old people in big parking lots.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
I was going to say my logitech performance mx is from 2010 or so. This one is like number 4 or 5, most of them still work, they've just gone to live with relatives that I often help with computer problems, but man, every other revision feels like trash, gets smaller, moves buttons, adds weird texture, and gets lighter.
Keyboard is less critical, I can crush a laptop or desktop keyboard for typing consistently, but god help you if you give me a keyboard without a standard home island and numpad. I used to have logitech wireless keyboards for no good reason, I keep so much crap on my desk that they'd get buried, pulled to the top, and teeter on a stack of pages and pens/knives. After my last one got broke by... someone, I went and picked up a logitech g413, it's clicky, heavy, and has a little usb port built in, but most importantly, it's wired, so I can't just pull it out of a mess and add it to the top, I actually have to find it.
You need to clean off your desk.

unclebun

What exactly would you be getting with the lifetime subscription to software updates? Maybe this has to do with gaming where the mouse buttons and wheels can be mapped to different game functions? Although the article mentions the mouse possibly having user-repairability or user replaceable parts, would the cost of these parts be covered under the subscription? If not, how can they call it a lifetime subscription.

The standard Windows control panel applet can control all the necessary adjustments for mouse function so what's the advantage to the subscription? There would have to be something to make it worth it. Unless they somehow make it to where the mouse is disabled unless you have an active subscription, and the software constantly checks with Logitech servers for active subscription. Which would mean that when the next Crowdstrike update crashes their servers you can't use the mouse...