• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Substrate Cutter needed - Recommendations?

MarkH42

We are in the market for a substrate cutter and I am looking for recommendations. Ideally, this machine would cut ACM, coroplast, foamcore, PVC and maybe a few other materials. I have a done a little research and found the FSC Multi-Material Cutter and the Foster SteelTrak (aka Keencut?). Both seem to be in the $3,500-$4,000 range new, depending on the size.

Any other models we should consider? Anyone have one of these and want to share your experience? As always, a good used one is a bonus, but I'm willing to invest in a new one. Any suggestions are appreciated!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I just have a panel saw, table saw and a 3ft shear. Works great for most projects. If I'm not comfortable with cutting the material here, I just have a supplier cut it for me.

MarkH42

We currently also have a 3 ft. shear and we have our vendor cut pieces larger than that, but doing the longer cuts in-house would speed things up considerably. Also, we spend $40-50 or so per week on average getting material cut, so that pays for the cutter in 2 years. I'm hoping it saves time with coro and foamcore cuts, which are a significant percentage of what we do.

bannertime

We use the SawTrax machines. Have a 5ft and a 4ft. The 5ft has an ACM sheer and a substrate clamp, but the clamp only works with 4ft materials so we typically leave it off. We went with it because we can use the saw and rip long cuts of ACM or polycarb. Our first one was a 4ft one we bought many, many years ago and have never needed to adjust it. The new one seems to be built just as well.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have enjoyed our Foster Keencut for years. Good machine. They are all challenging to square up though. Be ready to work through the challenge no matter which one you buy.

FatCat

We've also had a Fletcher substrate cutter, but as Firesprint mentioned we found ours terribly difficult to square perfectly and sold it years ago.

Other than a CNC table, the best "cutter" at our shop is our DeWalt track saw. (Fletcher and Makita also make a version too.) For the money, this thing will fly through just about any material (except foam board) used in day-to-day sign making and do it accurately with a clean edge. We cut PVC, polycarb, MDO, coro, polymetals and many others with ease. Wouldn't be without it!