• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Substrate Ideas for Hanging Sign

BSL Graphix

I have a previous client that asked me if I'd be interested in doing new sign face for his business. He currently has a 4' X 8' MDO board hanging by some type of chain in a metal pipe frame that a previous owner built. He wants to use existing frame and hang similarly. He would like to increase size to 4' X 10' if possible. I would like to use the vinyl that I keep here on hand for the job (Oracal 3165 RA). I generally do not mess with signs too often so I'm looking for ideas on substrate for this job. Thanks

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 158

signguy 55

Given the info you have told us I wouldn't touch it. I would never hang a 4 x 8 with chains only at the top, MAYBE additional chains at the bottom corners to keep it from swinging in a storm.

Either do it right and build a frame to hold it, or do the sign and let the customer handle installation, or walk away.

4 x 10 won't make much difference in visibility, assuming you have the extra room in the frame to hold it. 4 x 10 of anything will add to the cost. Good luck.

jchristians

Since he is wanting the face larger, but same frame...I would mount face to front of frame hiding frame and making it more solid, not hanging from chains.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He's correct. That's a silly way to mount a 4x8 or a 4x10. Lotsa liability connected with that setup.

It should have solid posts with a solid mount to them. Substantial substrate and you'll be fine.

I'd probably use 3/4" MDO and prep it correctly , so it lasts a long time.

I take it by the vinyl you're using it's gonna be a digital print, so if the thing lasts 5 years, you're doing good, huh ??

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I'd use a 1/4" Omegabond. Holds up well in weather and no need to fuss with priming and painting. Especially if client is going to do the install. You KNOW they'll break the finish and not seal it properly.

BSL Graphix

Yes the client is going to handle the install, He told me the current board they have there now, has been hanging there for 17 years. It actually Is in good shape except for the vinyl lettering is cracked.

Billct2

I'd use 3/4" MDO and sign hangers. And write in the proposal and invoice that the client is responsible for the install.
A swinging sign should be heavy enough to not whip around in the wind. And should be installed without check chains.
They only create problems by wracking the sign in the wind.

BSL Graphix

I see I can get 1/2" primed MDO board in 4 ft by 10 ft. and I also see the hangers they make for them. Looks like a possible direction to go. What kind of paint is recommended for MDO board and to use Oracal 3651 vinyl? I'm thinking of contour cutting around the company logo and applying it to the surface. Probably paint the MDO either white or blue.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At that size, it's probably gonna warp/bow. Two hangers will not cut it, if you wanna consider yourself doing it the right way. Do what ya want.

Anyway, a good bulletin paint for the background will suffice. I see you removed your location, but if I remember correctly, there are plenty of places to get bulletin out your way. Don't forget to prep the edges, fill the voids and 2 to 3 coats of paint..... both sides.

BSL Graphix

THANKS EVERYBODY! I called the client and expressed how I am not interested in doing the job as it was done in the past (by somebody else). I would only consider in doing it with proper framing/mounting as I recommend. I told him only other option would be that I could do his new logo on 2 sheets of aluminum .040 and if HE could affix them in any manner he wished to the existing board. I told him I was very worried about the longevity of the way it is currently done and I didn't want to put my business name on something that could fail or be unprofessional Thanks again guys!