• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Substrate Question for Sign

CanDoASign4U

Need advice on what substrate would provide the best strength for the following installation?

Working on a client's request to replace a failed sign on a signpost that is 144" inches in height. There is a current frame built to hold a 4' by 8' sign on 3 sides and that frame extends 3 foot above the top of the post.

I recognize that the frame will need to be replaced or strengthened but I'm wondering what would be the best substrate to use that would withstand the wind without warping?

See attached photo of current signpost and frame.

Attachments

• Sign-Post-with-sign.png
    Sign-Post-with-sign.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 236

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On that Mickey Mouse setup..... a banner at most. Get that ACM crap outta your head. 32 sq ft of solid material will be a frickin' sail and go flying one day and decapitating someone in the process. Around here, you couldn't get a permit to put something like that up, not to mention you'll need to find out how deep that pole goes into the ground and what kinda wind shear it will have.

Billct2

I hate getting calls on jobs like this because it's a waste of my time unless the owner is willing to bring the frame up to "code".

Sandman

If you take that job make sure your liability insurance is up to date. You'll be using it. First off the attachment for ANY rigid panel on that pole and frame is a joke. Also, like the others said, if you have no idea how that pole was installed, you're setting yourself up for disaster. I would never install a new sign on an old pole and frame like that without knowing it was completely up to code.

CanDoASign4U

All good points. I will tell you that there was a sign there previously. The remains of what's left of it can be seen and it was obviously a wooden sign. Do not know what happened to the previous sign. I will tell you that the local sign ordinance would allow an even larger sign according to the zoning administrator, but she isn't the one who would have to pay up in the event of damage.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That sounds unbelievable. Evidently, no one in your municipality gives 2¢ for laws, codes or peoples' lives. Your own admission that a wooden sign was demolished is proof alone. If you don't walk away from a deal like this, you're as crazy as the codes people in your area...... :covereyes:

CanDoASign4U

Never said the wooden sign was demolished, just that only part of it was there. Could have been old age took care of it, just don't know.
WOW! Talk about trying to read between the lines and taking things to a new level. I recognize your concern and appreciate your feedback, but if I walked away form every potential problem without trying to find a solution then I would be out of business. Don't be the crothcy old man standing on the porch yelling; "dang kids, slow down, this is a neighborhood!" Love ya man!

Sandman

Hey, there are risk takers and there are those that do thing right. Most of the replies are only looking out for your best interest. Are there that many shoddy sign makers in your area doing questionable installs that you wouldn't have enough work to pass on risky installs? Personally, one 4x8 isn't worth the risk to me but hey, if you're willing go for it. I cannot see enough detail in the picture to recommend a substrate. All I know is that ACM does not have a lot of structural strength and there doesn't appear to be a great attachment method available. What I did when I had a 2 sided hanging sign to make with ACM was make a wood fame and I epoxied and screwed the the panels to the wood frame.

CanDoASign4U

I realize that most of the replies were looking out for my best interest and for that I am appreciative. I am not a risk taker and do want to do things right, but I have an obligation to my customer to look for all alternatives. Like all of us, my reputation rides on the work that I do, plus who could afford the negative publicity or the expense. Obviously the comments here have made me look at things from a different perspective. At no point did I ever say that the client insisted that I make the sign a certain way, they just had a vision of what they wanted and I am definitely glad I ask for responses. Thus, my inquiries have paid dividends. Most of what has been said has been a civil discussion of the pros and cons of my question and for your and the other comments I am thankful.