• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Substrate suggestions

Velocity955

I need to do a small run of office type signs, IE: RESTROOM, CASHIER etc. looking for suggestions on gloss black with white text. I have general tools like table saw, router table. I have had a bit of a hard time getting PVC to cut clean enough for these types of signs. Any suggestions? thanks

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
The restroom sign is required to be ADA compliant... so no gloss, raised visual text all caps, san serif min 5/8" max is 2" then braille below. If the other signs like the cashier are supposed to identify a permanent space, then they will be required to comply with ADA.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Yup, needs to be ADA compliant ... unless they don't go on the door or a place that is reachable (above the door or hanging.) ... I don't think he mentioned where they were going though.

Velocity955

Not on the door, just on the wall above space. RESTROOM is on wall with an arrow pointing down hall. The existing signs are engraved with no brail etc. they are looking to change the color and look of the signs.

CS-SignSupply-TT

ADA compliant

Yup, needs to be ADA compliant ... unless they don't go on the door or a place that is reachable (above the door or hanging.) ... I don't think he mentioned where they were going though.
+1 better safe than sorry. You don't want fine$ on top of redoing the signs. Maybe you can take the inspector out to breakfast, coffee/donuts, or lunch and pick their brains?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Existing signs or not...... just because the guy before you didn't follow proper procedure, doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules.

I can't tell you how many buildings over the years, large and small, we've had to do over completely in order to meet ADA codes. Many times signs haven't been changed or the building was up to old codes, hence nothing had to be done, but once you start adding or changing things around, as a professional sign person, you must be sure you are giving your client the latest in fire, ADA and building codes.... or you are at fault, not your customer, just because they didn't want to spend the extra money.

It's your job to know ALL the laws and codes about ALL signs, not just the ones you want to address.

If a sign has to hang and needs to be ADA, then the sign cannot be hung, but a place needs to be found where a handicapped person can access it. Even if customers or patrons don't come into the area, you still need it for any present or future employees. It's the law.

If you can't make them yourself, you might want to do a google and find one of the many places that now provide ADA signs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Overhead/hanging signs also have ADA specs...

If you are in Washington state, then ADA is part of the building code and there is more to lose in your state than most. It is my understanding that Washington is the strictest state when it comes to ADA compliancy. ADA is in California's building code too, and is stricter than what the Fed specifies. Anything non-compliant can be fined up to 10,000 per violation. Your state has some fines too.

What that means is, your client can get sued for non-compliance, you can get that passed along, and you can get fined as well.

I would say that 90% of signs have some code or specification attached to it.

Velocity955

thanks so much for the help and suggestions. I will investigate further and adjust accordingly. Very much appreciate the insight!!