Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

substrates

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tintshopplus, May 7, 2010.

1. tintshopplus

tintshopplus Member

Mar 19, 2010
    i am doing a sign 3'x8' for outdoor. vinyl install. the only thing i can buy local for substrates are mdo, alumacorr, and signabond. this is a low budget installation and signabond makes since. will it work ok? mdo is same price but needs paint and seal. what is recommended? thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    there are so many variables that go into the "why" we all choose a particular material for a given project. the only information you have given us is that it is an outdoor sign and it is a low budget project...given that information all of your materials would work...

3. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Signbond all the way......I use about 5 sheets a week........JMO.......

4. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    how long is the signage expected to last?

5. tintshopplus

tintshopplus Member

Mar 19, 2010
    good question. forever? :ROFLMAO:

why do you ask?

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ya know tintie, if ya want good answers, try to be a little more explicit with yours.

7. WhiskeyDreamer

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    knowing how long the signage is expected to last plays a key role in both the substrate you'll be using as well as the grade of vinyl you'll be applying to the substrate....

if this is a perm. sign, then i'd suggest alumalite...but depending on where it will be installed, if it's going to be at hands reach, i'd also cap the edges...

8. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    How's it going to be mounted? Hung on a wall or posts? Need more info!

9. tintshopplus

tintshopplus Member

Mar 19, 2010
    replacing another sign on a 2x4 framing above a porch roof. speaking of which... am i using screws for this? or bolts? or?

10. tintshopplus

tintshopplus Member

Mar 19, 2010
    sorry, may have been having too much fun at the time. honestly, i'm doing this sign cheap. i'm new to the biz and helping clients that i know and will be patient with me through the process while i learn. and this guy is on a budget. he was watching his new neighbor getting a sign installed as i swung by and closed him down on one as his is currently warped and showing age. i want it to last awhile, but, i'm looking for the best bang for the buck as far as durability and price. you know, that one go to substrate that's inexpensive and universal.

11. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    Go with a composite aluminum substrate, such as, Dibond, Alupanel, Polymetal, etc. Screw to the existing frame with stainless screws.

12. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Give your customer two choices. Coroplast with economy calendar vinyl for one price = cheap, or Dibond and premium cast vinyl = durable and pricier. Let him decide what he wants. But by no means give him premium for a cheap price.

13. WhiskeyDreamer

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    cheap does not equate to quality...sell him coro with 651 on it....

have you already given the guy a price?? if so, how can you price a job out if you don't know what substrate you're going on?

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

DING... DING... DING... DING... DING... DING... DING... DING...

Give the young lady a CEE-GAR. :thankyou:
    That's the same riddle that stumps me every time I hear this same scenario.:ROFLMAO:

15. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Any more room on that wall Pat?? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

16. tintshopplus

tintshopplus Member

Mar 19, 2010
    no price yet. just getting my feet wet while helping out a guy who sends me a ton of business. price isn't super important. but a low budget to upgrade what's there. i've mostly done lettering and storefronts (glass.) my first sign like this. you guys have given me a lot to consider. thanks for the replies. i will continue my research.