• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

substrates

tintshopplus

i am doing a sign 3'x8' for outdoor. vinyl install. the only thing i can buy local for substrates are mdo, alumacorr, and signabond. this is a low budget installation and signabond makes since. will it work ok? mdo is same price but needs paint and seal. what is recommended? thanks in advance.

there are so many variables that go into the "why" we all choose a particular material for a given project. the only information you have given us is that it is an outdoor sign and it is a low budget project...given that information all of your materials would work...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know tintie, if ya want good answers, try to be a little more explicit with yours.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
good question. forever? :ROFLMAO:

why do you ask?

knowing how long the signage is expected to last plays a key role in both the substrate you'll be using as well as the grade of vinyl you'll be applying to the substrate....

if this is a perm. sign, then i'd suggest alumalite...but depending on where it will be installed, if it's going to be at hands reach, i'd also cap the edges...

tintshopplus

Ya know tintie, if ya want good answers, try to be a little more explicit with yours.

sorry, may have been having too much fun at the time. honestly, i'm doing this sign cheap. i'm new to the biz and helping clients that i know and will be patient with me through the process while i learn. and this guy is on a budget. he was watching his new neighbor getting a sign installed as i swung by and closed him down on one as his is currently warped and showing age. i want it to last awhile, but, i'm looking for the best bang for the buck as far as durability and price. you know, that one go to substrate that's inexpensive and universal.

wes70

Go with a composite aluminum substrate, such as, Dibond, Alupanel, Polymetal, etc. Screw to the existing frame with stainless screws.

SignManiac

Give your customer two choices. Coroplast with economy calendar vinyl for one price = cheap, or Dibond and premium cast vinyl = durable and pricier. Let him decide what he wants. But by no means give him premium for a cheap price.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
cheap does not equate to quality...sell him coro with 651 on it....

have you already given the guy a price?? if so, how can you price a job out if you don't know what substrate you're going on?

DING... DING... DING... DING... DING... DING... DING... DING...

Give the young lady a CEE-GAR. :thankyou:
That's the same riddle that stumps me every time I hear this same scenario.:ROFLMAO:

tintshopplus

no price yet. just getting my feet wet while helping out a guy who sends me a ton of business. price isn't super important. but a low budget to upgrade what's there. i've mostly done lettering and storefronts (glass.) my first sign like this. you guys have given me a lot to consider. thanks for the replies. i will continue my research.