• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"SubTank Refill" Error message (bulk ink) VJ-1604

leerees

Hi,

Mutoh Valuejet 1604 using bulk ink catridges (jetbest ink)

The magenta was left to run far too low and now we are greeted with SubTank Refill everytime we try to print a job. I was told that the cause is more than likely air in the system and that I should syringe the ink through.

I've already tried little charge twice and various strong cleans.

Can somebody please explain where or how I syringe the ink through, I really don't want to break anything here!

SE SignSupply

Most likely you do have air trapped above the subtanks.

The way I remove the air is a little different than pulling ink through the whole system.

If you take the back covers off around the ink cartridges (there is an upper and lower cover), you will see a series of 4 valves under the small lower cover. Above those valves the ink lines are clear, you should see air bubbles trapped here. I remove the line above the valve to let the ink flow down the line, just before the ink runs out of the line, put it back on the valve. This should take care of the air lock you currently have.

Ryan

0igo

Most likely you do have air trapped above the subtanks.

The way I remove the air is a little different than pulling ink through the whole system.

If you take the back covers off around the ink cartridges (there is an upper and lower cover), you will see a series of 4 valves under the small lower cover. Above those valves the ink lines are clear, you should see air bubbles trapped here. I remove the line above the valve to let the ink flow down the line, just before the ink runs out of the line, put it back on the valve. This should take care of the air lock you currently have.

Ryan

Hey how do you remove the line from the valve? It appears as if they're molded together?

heyskull

Have had this problem a lot and I even changed out the sub tank valves twice.
Turns out if you are running a bulk ink system the bleed from the top ink tank (where you top the inks up) is not enough.
My fix for this is, leave the lids loose as this gives a little more bleed. I haven't had this message in over 3 months now.
I also think over time the sub tank bags do not expand as well as they used to and don't trip the microswitches as easily.

SC

0igo

Have had this problem a lot and I even changed out the sub tank valves twice.
Turns out if you are running a bulk ink system the bleed from the top ink tank (where you top the inks up) is not enough.
My fix for this is, leave the lids loose as this gives a little more bleed. I haven't had this message in over 3 months now.
I also think over time the sub tank bags do not expand as well as they used to and don't trip the microswitches as easily.

SC
I unlocked my machine so it bypasses reading the ink level. After months with that problem that was my only solution and it worked out wonderfully

0igo

Hi Ogio,

Did you ever figure out this issue. I am having the same problem
Yes like I said before unlocking it was the only solution. Mutoh doesn't want you to use 3rd party inks and so it blocks them. I unlocked it to where it bypasses the reading and that did it.

heyskull

Sub tank errors are caused due to the sub tank bags not filling up properly.
It has nothing to do with unlocking the machine.
The last thing I would ever want to let happen is let the sub tanks empty.

SC

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
I know this an old thread - but, i figured someone in the future may look at this for help as I just did.

We had this error on our 1624. After some investigation, one of the bulk ink bags was not all the way down past the "orange tab" on the ink adapter, and caused air to get in to the system. had to do a couple normal ink charges and we are back up and running.