• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subtrate for window graphics

jkdbjj

So I am going to be installing 3 double sided graphics that are 36"x72" They want a board of some sort that can be turned around during a sale. So on the back side will be the words sale, and on the front side will be images.

These will be hanging about 15" from the window on the inside of the store.

Normally I would use sintra, but I have noticed a year or two later these warp pretty bad. These have to be light enough for the employees to unhook them turn them and hang them back up.

The hanging part I will be using a system from Hang Ups Unlimited.

Thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
GatorBoard... all the way. Strong, non-warping and lightweight. And is probably the nicest and friendliest substrate for flatbed printing.

HulkSmash

PVC or sentra has a tendency of doing that because of extreme expanding and contracting from the heat and cold... can't touch that stuff here in Denver... wont last even 3 months...As Gino said.. use 1/2 inch gator board.. I think the .25 won't work well at that size.. it will be real light, and might flop around. careful when putting grommets in them... if you press too hard, you can really cave the board around it.

jkdbjj

No, can't use gator or foamboard, too susceptible to the employees dropping it and cracking or smashing the board.

I have never used dibond, it seems like it will be sturdy. Can I get a consensus among you all that it will work?

I will be mounting graphics to both sides, no flatbed here.

HulkSmash

No, can't use gator or foamboard, too susceptible to the employees dropping it and cracking or smashing the board.

I have never used dibond, it seems like it will be sturdy. Can I get a consensus among you all that it will work?

Then yeah Di bond will be perfect.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

If you can't use Gator, then you can't use Dibond either. If they drop Dibond, which is far heavier than Gator.... it will dent and dog-ear far more than anything else and could cause some serious damage if dropped on a customer's or another employee's head.

We do quite a few stores front windows and we've tried to talk them into Gator, but they go for the cheapness of PVC. If the grommets and chains are placed properly, they won't warp..... stated by the manufacturer. However, here in the real world, I think out of 1,000's of window signs we've furnished.... maybe 2 are not warping. Anywhere we've used Gator, they still look great. Ours are two-sided, but they don't flip them as your customer wants to do.

I'd seriously re-think the Gator. Foamboard might not take a hit, but Gator must be man-handled to cause damage.

CWP

Gatorboard all the way. It really is much tougher than you think. It also mounts very well. Just make sure you get any dust off of it first...

jkdbjj

Guys I use to use Gator exclusively and I love the product. Used it hundreds of times. To be honest I have never used it in such an application for store front windows. I have used it as display pieces for walls, and table top displays for real estate companies.

In this situation, the windows are only accessible to the employees, they are windows with a dummy wall behind them that face the road. So they want to dress up the view, so passer byers don't see a wall there.

Gino, to your point, they are almost insisting on sintra, and I tried pointing out a project we did for them 3 years ago, that are warped, and the graphic designer seems to care less. So I may just have to stick with that, now that you say dibond is much heavier.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll just slip the gator in and they will be none the wiser! Bwa ha ha