• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suction Pump - Oce Arizona 318

Alex Ku

It seems that I don't have much suction when I turn on the suction pump to clean the printheads, it's very weak. Any solutions, suggestions???

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Have you tried flushing it with cleaning solution or alcohol? We've added this to our weekly maintenance schedule and it has helped quite a bit.

One thing I've found when flushing the vacuum is that it can weaken the barb that connects the head to the line - we've broken a few of them and now keep a couple in stock just in case.

AlsEU

Of course, the pump may be weak/damaged too. Find a piece of a tube similar to the one used in the pump, disconnect the original tube, connect yours and check, if the sucking is stronger (but not on the head, try to suck few drops of the ink from any flat surface). If it is, you have a problem with original tubing, nozzle suction or the elbow between. If it's still weak, I would blame the pump.

CMYKENGINEERING

Merchant Member
Fun fact: you don't need the vacuum. In fact, you should not use it at all because you raise the risk of accidentally scratching a printhead. A wipe with a clean microfiber cloth or swab and flush is all you need.

Do make sure you do it often if you use Canon's ink.

Alex Ku

Have you tried flushing it with cleaning solution or alcohol? We've added this to our weekly maintenance schedule and it has helped quite a bit.

One thing I've found when flushing the vacuum is that it can weaken the barb that connects the head to the line - we've broken a few of them and now keep a couple in stock just in case.
I have not but will give this a try .. great suggestion. I've also noticed that one of the pumps seems to be kicking on every 30 seconds or so - not sure what that is about or even which pump it is? Also noticed yesterday that it appears that the EF-Micro degassing tube is leaking off of the magenta ink. Anyone have any idea where I can purchase a replacement (besides Canon)? I looked on Digiprints website & didn't see it.

Alex Ku

Of course, the pump may be weak/damaged too. Find a piece of a tube similar to the one used in the pump, disconnect the original tube, connect yours and check, if the sucking is stronger (but not on the head, try to suck few drops of the ink from any flat surface). If it is, you have a problem with original tubing, nozzle suction or the elbow between. If it's still weak, I would blame the pump.

I will try this today - thanks for the advice

Alex Ku

Fun fact: you don't need the vacuum. In fact, you should not use it at all because you raise the risk of accidentally scratching a printhead. A wipe with a clean microfiber cloth or swab and flush is all you need.

Good to know ... I will attempt the other fixes and if they don't work I just won't use it!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

Woah hold up.
you're saying that risk scratching the print heads with the suction but you'd wipe with a microfiber cloth??
you risk damaging the head more with the microfiber as you're physically touching the nozzles.
The suction nozzle does not touch the physical print heads. if you have dirt on the head big enough to scratch it, you need to keep your substrates clean!!!
and you're suppose to clean the head of the suction nozzle prior using it each time.
The purge is enough to remove dirt from the print heads anyway

Oce's old weekly method was: Purge - Swap - purge - vacuum
The new weekly method is - Purge - vacuum - swab - purge - vacuum.

If your substrates are clean, purge and vacuum once a few times a day.

CMYKENGINEERING

Merchant Member
Woah hold up.
you're saying that risk scratching the print heads with the suction but you'd wipe with a microfiber cloth??
you risk damaging the head more with the microfiber as you're physically touching the nozzles.
The suction nozzle does not touch the physical print heads. if you have dirt on the head big enough to scratch it, you need to keep your substrates clean!!!
and you're suppose to clean the head of the suction nozzle prior using it each time.
The purge is enough to remove dirt from the print heads anyway

Oce's old weekly method was: Purge - Swap - purge - vacuum
The new weekly method is - Purge - vacuum - swab - purge - vacuum.

If your substrates are clean, purge and vacuum once a few times a day.
Sorry not microfiber, like these.

The suction nozzle should not touch the heads, that is correct, but sliding hard plastic across the heads leaves too much room for error in my opinion.

Purge-swab-purge is enough in most circumstances.

DPICopy

Does anyone know where I can get the connector barbs for the suction pump that White Haus mentioned? Mine snapped off yesterday. If I have to get it through Canon does anyone know the part number?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20191016_161932.jpg
    20191016_161932.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 177

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Does anyone know where I can get the connector barbs for the suction pump that White Haus mentioned? Mine snapped off yesterday. If I have to get it through Canon does anyone know the part number?
Thank you!

Hey Dale, sent you a PM but here it is in case anyone else needs it:

We do order our parts direct from Canon (Canada) but here is what I have listed for that part:

Part number/item number: 3010105366
Description: FTG-ELB SWIV 3/32 BARB 1/8 NPT