• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

suggestion for a reasonable substrate cutter!

signwizz

doesnt need to cut wood but one that would cut gator foam, coroplast, syntra etc... has anyone used the one made by gap
when in doubt ask the people that use them daily
thanks for any input
shane

Speedsterbeast

This is something I have been researching intensly
I was sold on a Fletcher FSC, but now I'm leaning towards a Saw Trax.
Here's why- The Flecther will only cut a 4' sheet of Dibond vertically.
True that the Saw Trax will only do this with the ACM attachment (similar to the Fletcher and dust free),
but it will also give you the option of cross cutting the full 8' with the circular saw attachment.
And if dust is a concern the Saw Trax has optional wheels so you can roll the unit outside and do the messy cutting there.
Both units run around $3000, nicely equipped.
I did, however, look at a Fletcher being demonstrated at the ISA show in Vegas this month and it looks very well designed and solidly built. I don't think you would go wrong with it if crosscutting is never going to be a concern along with cutting wood.

d fleming

panel saw

Years ago when I bought my safety speed cut panel saw it came with an attachment to cut using a fixed blade. I bought a Fletcher when I could. Not a saw trax but my 2 cents.

signwizz

thanks for the input i was looking at the gap usa one to mount on a table to cut 4x8 sheets of coro and syntra anyone used one
shane

VTSigns

Which one is better, the Fletcher FSC or the Keen Steeltrak? I have been looking at both and it seems as though more people have the Fletcher FSC but my sales reps are telling me that the Keen Steeltrak is a better cutter. Anyone?

omgsideburns

I have both a fletcher and a sawtrax... they each have their advantages.

I only use the radial saw attachment on the sawtrax.. We rip boards both ways with it. It's not as accurate as I'd like it to be (I wouldn't build cabinets with one?) but it's good enough to rip down to manageable sizes for table saw cuts.

The fletcher is not any fun for cutting thicker materials, but it's great for thinner substrates like coro, up to 3mm pvc, banners, posters, and the like.

- Just my opinion. -

FatCat

I have a Keencut Excalibur with both the razor blad and cutting wheel attachment. FWIW - the razor blade does a good job on 4mm coro, 3/16 foamboard and 3mm PVC. The cutting wheel does work decently on .040 aluminum and 3mm poly-metals but it takes a good bit of effort and sometimes the material can skew with all the force being applied.

Anyway, for me I swear by my DeWalt track saw. (Same as Festool) It does precise, clean cuts on PVC, MDO, HDU, light aluminum and 3mm/6mm poly-metal. So I tend to use it for that stuff and cut my foam and coro on the Keencut.

mnapuran

Wow... more I read about these "substrate cutters", the more I just want to keep using my table saw.

I have about $600 in my saw with extension table and nicer/longer fence. And that was about 10 years ago. (pic from back then)

Attachments

• ts2.jpg
    ts2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 139