Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestion for a reasonable substrate cutter!

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by signwizz, Apr 30, 2013.

1. signwizz

signwizz Active Member

doesnt need to cut wood but one that would cut gator foam, coroplast, syntra etc... has anyone used the one made by gap
    when in doubt ask the people that use them daily
    thanks for any input
    shane

Tags:
  2. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    Get a fletcher.Very reasonable.You won't regret it

3. Speedsterbeast

Speedsterbeast Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Thunder Bay
    This is something I have been researching intensly
    I was sold on a Fletcher FSC, but now I'm leaning towards a Saw Trax.
    Here's why- The Flecther will only cut a 4' sheet of Dibond vertically.
    True that the Saw Trax will only do this with the ACM attachment (similar to the Fletcher and dust free),
    but it will also give you the option of cross cutting the full 8' with the circular saw attachment.
    And if dust is a concern the Saw Trax has optional wheels so you can roll the unit outside and do the messy cutting there.
    Both units run around $3000, nicely equipped.
    I did, however, look at a Fletcher being demonstrated at the ISA show in Vegas this month and it looks very well designed and solidly built. I don't think you would go wrong with it if crosscutting is never going to be a concern along with cutting wood.

4. Tom Dalton

Tom Dalton Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Illinois
    We sell the Fletcher cutters.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the FSC or other models.

They do have one that will cut the 8' direction on a 4'x8' sheet.
    See... http://www.fletcherviscom.com/FAlta/main.html

It uses an electric motor to move the cutting tool.

We don't have that model on our website. Email us if you want a quote on that item.

Thanks, Tom
    SignsDirect.com

5. David Wright

David Wright Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Wyandotte, Mi
    What is the price on the Alta multi substrate cutter?

6. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    panel saw

Years ago when I bought my safety speed cut panel saw it came with an attachment to cut using a fixed blade. I bought a Fletcher when I could. Not a saw trax but my 2 cents.

7. signwizz

signwizz Active Member

thanks for the input i was looking at the gap usa one to mount on a table to cut 4x8 sheets of coro and syntra anyone used one
    shane

8. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I also was interested in this product. I google it, and the price is around 11k$.

9. SIGNTIME

SIGNTIME Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    NY
  10. VTSigns

VTSigns Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Signville
    Which one is better, the Fletcher FSC or the Keen Steeltrak? I have been looking at both and it seems as though more people have the Fletcher FSC but my sales reps are telling me that the Keen Steeltrak is a better cutter. Anyone?

11. SIGNTIME

SIGNTIME Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    NY
    sorry i have no experience with fletchers

12. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I have both a fletcher and a sawtrax... they each have their advantages.

I only use the radial saw attachment on the sawtrax.. We rip boards both ways with it. It's not as accurate as I'd like it to be (I wouldn't build cabinets with one?) but it's good enough to rip down to manageable sizes for table saw cuts.

The fletcher is not any fun for cutting thicker materials, but it's great for thinner substrates like coro, up to 3mm pvc, banners, posters, and the like.

- Just my opinion. -

13. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have a Keencut Excalibur with both the razor blad and cutting wheel attachment. FWIW - the razor blade does a good job on 4mm coro, 3/16 foamboard and 3mm PVC. The cutting wheel does work decently on .040 aluminum and 3mm poly-metals but it takes a good bit of effort and sometimes the material can skew with all the force being applied.

Anyway, for me I swear by my DeWalt track saw. (Same as Festool) It does precise, clean cuts on PVC, MDO, HDU, light aluminum and 3mm/6mm poly-metal. So I tend to use it for that stuff and cut my foam and coro on the Keencut.

14. mnapuran

mnapuran Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Plano (Dallas), TX
    Wow... more I read about these "substrate cutters", the more I just want to keep using my table saw.

I have about $600 in my saw with extension table and nicer/longer fence. And that was about 10 years ago. (pic from back then)

Attached Files:

• ts2.jpg
      ts2.jpg
      File size:
      50 KB
      Views: