• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestion for permanent vinyl install on primered wall

mikeinpdx

I've done a number of installs with phototext, love it. But this customer has a flat, interior sheetrock wall in a high traffic area, and they want something permanent and harder for kids to pull/remove.

Normally, I've only installed on painted walls, gloss/semigloss. In this case, the wall is just primered. Is there any advantage to IJ180 over IJ35 or IJ40? I've read about IJ35 not sticking well, and the fact the wall is primered and not painted is a concern ( although my installer has done it before and never had issues). Like most projects, the customer needs the install in a few weeks, so painting first and waiting 3 weeks isn't a great option

iSign

how about paint & wait 3 days then?

Automotive paint should cure for a while, but house paint shouldn't take long at all, and it should be way cheaper than upgrading to costly films.

mikeinpdx

how about paint & wait 3 days then?

Automotive paint should cure for a while, but house paint shouldn't take long at all, and it should be way cheaper than upgrading to costly films.

I'd think so too, but manufacturers of wall films say 3+ weeks after painting!

iSign

I just did 1000 sq. ft., 3 days after a semi gloss finish was painted, not to mention 20 years of coating out MDO sign blanks & applying various PSA media within 3 or 4 days...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While your drying conditions might be different from another area, if you use a good grade latex with a semi-gloss sheen, you should be fine after 4 or 5 days at most. 3 weeks, not likely.

Look/watch iSigns's video in his own thread about this very thing..... on what he just did and you'll see how well it went for him. He knows.