• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for a low cost entry level used machine

DirtDoggy

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the industry. I've been in the commercial offset side of things and recently started brokering signage. However, my flatbed guys machine broke down and he isn't going to get it fixed.

Anyways, I do some pretty specialized products and I could benefit from my own machine.

Where could I go to find a low cost, entry level, uv flatbed that would suite my needs?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dypinc

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the industry. I've been in the commercial offset side of things and recently started brokering signage. However, my flatbed guys machine broke down and he isn't going to get it fixed.

Anyways, I do some pretty specialized products and I could benefit from my own machine.

Where could I go to find a low cost, entry level, uv flatbed that would suite my needs?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check here http://globalgarage.com

FatCat

Mimaki and mutoh both make an entry level flatbed - Roland might also. However from what I've been told, none are built the way they should be, and the speed is one of the biggest hang ups. You be better off finding a used HP FB500 for maybe $50,000 - otherwise it's about $100,000 to start at a decent machine.

decalman

I believe someone was selling one here on the for sale forum for only 4000, but it cost another 4,000. to for a tech to dismantle it, and another 4g's to assemble the thing. I may have seen it on the sign trader, or here. Not sure.

DirtDoggy

I print on metal, glass. Display type signage. I don't print very large, largest I've done have been about 24x36

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I print on metal, glass. Display type signage. I don't print very large, largest I've done have been about 24x36

I have seen a few from China that are represented out here in the US that would sell for about $16k. The most important part is the tech support, many people have inexpensive machines but cannot get any tech support. No matter what machine you get you will have problems with it. It might be good to wait for the ISA show coming up to see what's available.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Although I haven't personally used an HP for rigid stock I can tell you that our new HP360 Latex has been extremely disappointing with roll media. Substrates jam all the time, getting the right color is a total PITA, the advertised print speed does not take into account that you have to run it at it's higher quality settings for anything other than one color banners, total pain to switch media, total pain to connect the take-up reel (unless you don't mind wasting 4-6ft of material each time).

Don't mean to bash HP but hey I speak from experience. We use HP pc's and desktop printers without problems. As a matter of fact, they're my first choice for anything other than large format printing.

Don't listen to sales reps. Do your research from this forum, and others, heed the advice from actual users.