• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for a New Cutter

mortil

I owned an cheap china plotter and was on the hunt for a better one as the vinyl cutting has grown out of my hands and the line of the china plotter managed to deal with.

was thinking of buying an Mimaki CG130-SR2 or an Graphtec CE5000-120 BUT now i have an FC8000-130 on try and just say that i love it :D

love love love it :D (wounder if my girlfriend gets pissed of if i sleep with it tonight) ;)

conwaycopies

I think the biggest roland cutter is 48". At least when we were looking that is what was available.

We have an old laptop running the summa windows xp, 256mb ram. I save the cut file to that computer (via network) then use summa software to send cut to plotter.

They've recently come out with a 62" model. I haven't found anyone who's used any of their cutters to get any feedback. I know they make good products, we love our printer, but I'd hate to buy one without some firsthand experience.

Letterbox Mike

I'll chime in with similar Graphtec issues. We tried an FC5100, FC7100 and FC8000 before throwing in the towel and moving to a Summa S160D.

Same issues with Graphtec, they couldn't find registration marks to save their lives. The only way we could get even remotely repeatable results was to fabricate a plastic "hood" to cover the plotter to make it totally dark while it was searching for them. We also had to turn the lights out. This was on all three machines. Even then, it would not find about 1 in 10 marks. For comparison sake, in the 4 years since we've had our Summa, it's read tens of thousands of marks and to my knowledge has never ever missed a single one. We also had significant tracking issues on the Graphtecs on anything over 10-12', significant meaning we really could not contour cut anything over that. On our Summa, we regularly contour-cut 20-25' long prints and have successfully cut panels that were over 50' long with less than 1/4" side-to-side walking (which OPOS compensated for and the cut was perfect).

And on the subject of service, Graphtec was marginally helpful at best, they were responsive, albeit slow to respond, and they were never really able to offer any solutions. Summa's service on the other hand is considered by just about anyone who's ever dealt with them to be among the best in the industry, if not the absolute best. If you search around, these are issues that are very very common to these machines, I think I've actually talked to more Graphtec users that do have the problems than those that don't. Some lower-volume shops may be able to make due with the issues, but we run a tight ship and we can't be worried about whether a piece of equipment is going to decide to work right today or not. Graphtecs are not up to that task.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
There are a lot of good cutters out there, and I will leave users to recommend their favorites, but I do want to correct a small point. Roland does have a 64" cutter. It is relatively new, but based on the same technology as our established Pro series cutters.

Signed Out

We have a roland xj540 printer and a roland gx500 plotter. Kinda suprised by the lack of people using roland plotters. ours works great with one exception. Can't do a print to cut job that is much more than 10' in length without breaking it into smaller sections. Anything over 10' in length seems not to track very well, the cut will be slightly off in some places. talked to tech support and they confirmed that they don't recomend anything over 10' in lenght when doing a print to cut registration. Wondering if the summas or graphtecs can do it??

Esdale

I must be the only one who is trouble free our Graphtec 8000 -130 has been a great machine 2 years so far nothing but good things to say about it.
I would recommend one I have cut out of Onyx and Illustrator with the cut master plugin works great!!!

Sign-Man Signs

For pure cutting, nothing compares to Graphtec and our Vinyl Express Q Series, which is Graphtec FC8000-based. Summa is a great cutter too, especially in tracking and contour cutting accuracy. But when it comes to cut-quality and bullet-proof reliability, Graphtec is truly in a class of it's own. Absolutely superb cutting and weedability even cutting tiny lettering and Diamond Grade reflective. In fact, Graphtec is the only cutter that specifies it will cut Diamond Grade. Truly great cutters, and we offer it in 24 inch width models, FC8000 and Q Series.

We may be able to take your older SignWarehouse cutter in trade as well. Call our sales department if you'd like more info. 800 699 5512. We're open today until 4 CST and tomorrow Noon to 5.

Thank you,

I agree Jim. I've have a Vinyl Express that is over 8 years old and a Graphtec CE5000 that is at least 4 years old. I like the VE since it has a automatic repeat feature. Both have served me well. Both are 24 inch.
:U Rock: