• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for better media

JLD984

Hi all, I'm after advice on digital vinyl. I've been printing most of my work for two years on various types of vinyl but after seeing a few of my earlier signs recently I've decided I need a change. I've mainly used General Formulations Concept 701 but it doesn't stick hard enough. I knew it didn't stick hard initially and often lifts when carrying/installing signs but expected it to be much better over time.

I need a vinyl with high initial tack, that doesn't cockle, wrinkle or curl in cold weather and is as white as possible. Air release is a bonus but not essential. Any suggestions appreciated.

neil_se

I've been using Avery MPI2923 from GA Mart and Spandex since it was released (4-5 years ago?). I get the kit with DOL2000 gloss in 1370 and 1524mm. Before that I was using 3M IJ40C, I still use GF Concept 201 HTAP for my high tack vinyl and some Arlon 4500GW when I need a polymeric clear glue.

I use 3-4 rolls of 2923 a month and I think it's brilliant. It's got a good white point, excellent easy apply adhesive, is opaque and permanent but removes well down the track if required, is matte so colours print very solid at reasonable speeds on both my solvent and latex machines. It's got a liner that doesn't buckle with heat, I can print and cut full bleed with no curling, and zero shrinkage.

At <$700+GST a kit it ticks all the boxes for me for a medium-long term vinyl.

JLD984

Thanks for the advice. The Avery vinyl sounds perfect, I've always used Avery 700 for cut vinyl and been happy with it but haven't used any of their print vinyl. I'll be giving it a try.

JLD984

I've been using Avery MPI2923 from GA Mart and Spandex since it was released (4-5 years ago?). I get the kit with DOL2000 gloss in 1370 and 1524mm. Before that I was using 3M IJ40C, I still use GF Concept 201 HTAP for my high tack vinyl and some Arlon 4500GW when I need a polymeric clear glue.

I use 3-4 rolls of 2923 a month and I think it's brilliant. It's got a good white point, excellent easy apply adhesive, is opaque and permanent but removes well down the track if required, is matte so colours print very solid at reasonable speeds on both my solvent and latex machines. It's got a liner that doesn't buckle with heat, I can print and cut full bleed with no curling, and zero shrinkage.

At <$700+GST a kit it ticks all the boxes for me for a medium-long term vinyl.
Hi Neil, just wondering what the difference is between MPI 2923 and MPI 2903, do you know? It's gloss instead of matte but I'm not sure if that's the only difference and if it's the same quality etc.

shoresigns

Hi Neil, just wondering what the difference is between MPI 2923 and MPI 2903, do you know? It's gloss instead of matte but I'm not sure if that's the only difference and if it's the same quality etc.

That's the only difference. 0=gloss and 2=matte. We use 2923 EZ as our "standard" vinyl for almost everything. It's only $0.02 more per sqft than what we used to use.

Matte vinyl dries faster and matte laminate doesn't show scratches like glossy does, so we've had no problems using matte as our default for almost everything.

Laz0924

You can get free sample from Instant Media One $130.00 a roll and a sponsor on this forum look for the banner on top or bottom it is also air release has worked out good so far for flat surfaces.