• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for large scraps of lightweight banner vinyl?

VicoDrive

I hate throwing away large pieces of vinyl whatever kind it is. I find way to use them for smaller projects later that I could use it for to save money. I seem to find my scrap pile builds up mostly with lightweight banner vinyl thats a little small for normal sized banners but they are too big to just throw away. Generally they run around 1-2 feet wide, give or take.

Since I dont get many jobs needing anything for this material at these smaller sizes, I would like to make something from it, or create something we can sell, or use for promotional ideas, etc...suggestions?

The only thing I have come up with so far is making those small flags that stand about 2 feet off the ground that people stick in their front yards with some random image or logo.

guitarguy69

The old owner of our company, (strange fellow) had a company come by that was going to make flip flops out of them for third world countries. I myself like to use it for painting projects, not creative or worth selling, but there ya go. Maybe a big bullseye target for the range?

d fleming

Toss it. Not worth the space it takes in the shop. Years ago I worked at a franchise with two great owners. That being said, the boss couldn't bring himself to throw away anything. We had crap stored all over. I caught him trying to reuse transfer tape by hanging it in sheets on the wall. When he was out one day I filled the dumpster. Took him a year to figure out all his precious garbage was gone. When he finally gave up and closed the doors I helped him clean out his shop. Had to rent a sled to do it. If banner scraps are of any useable size I give them to one of my customers for his aviaries, floors and roof material.

phototec

I have a friend who sews them together, making painters drop clothes, they work very well as paint does not seep through like canvas.

DizzyMarkus

We make small "mini" banners and mail them to prospective clients -- along with a few other things as a promotional package :0)

Markus

GWSigns

We make small "mini" banners and mail them to prospective clients -- along with a few other things as a promotional package :0)

Markus

I like that! They are hiring a "sales person" for us next fiscal, so I may prompt the manager to begin assembly of such packets.

VicoDrive

Markus

interesting. something more like that is what I was looking for. What do you print on them? Do you make what might be a full size banner with the clients logo and info but real small, or is it something with your printing companies info on it?

ddubia

When he was out one day I filled the dumpster. Took him a year to figure out all his precious garbage was gone. When he finally gave up and closed the doors...

So you ran him out of business by throwing away all his stock. :wink:

Allied Digital

I make small hang-tags. They say "How to hang a banner" with a little graphic showing elastic ties at a 45degree and next to it, "Wrong Way: a banner mounted to poles w/ the ties horizontal to the ground. Then promote my company on it too. Hook to one of the grommets and write the customer/job on the back of the tag. Next time a run a group, Im going to put something like - "Check with your city for sign ordinances and possible permitting requirements." This is hopefully going to keep ppl from coming back and saying "you didn't tell me I needed a permit for this!"
I will try to find the graphic...

DizzyMarkus

Howdy and glad some others might try this lol -- its been about 60/40, however the word of mouth travels better then anything and I live in a small town :0)

I usually just print a normal banner, just small :0) about 24" long x 6"(can fold inhalf to fit and mail) tall containing the company name, phone, a small design and of course our logo and contact on the bottom corner. It doesnt always work but I believe it portrays a great initial impact also.

thank you,
Markus

rfulford

I posted an add in craigslist in the "Free Stuff" section. The response was insane. I had three or four upholstery guys, people making tarps and a number of students for painting and photo backdrops. No money was made but nothing went in the trash.

d fleming

So you ran him out of business by throwing away all his stock. :wink:

Ha ,yeah that's it! Actually I went to teach high school for a few years and he didn't go to far after I left. Great guy, his wife is a saint. I enjoyed working with them and learned quite a lot.