• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions For My Band Website?

HaroldDesign

I recently overhauled my band's website. First I feel the need to mention that it is flash-based, and that is the way it's probably going to stay. I am not a web designer and don't have the time to continue using Dreamweaver. That said, what might you suggest? I've been staring at it too long. I've gotten positive feedback, but of course it's been from people close to me. Fire away...
:thankyou:

http://www.alinebetween.com

Last edited:

mikey-Oh

Thank you so much for including a volume control on the music player.
Really big pet peeve of mine.

The map for the shows kinda over powers the layout.

Of Course is a pretty rocking track

HaroldDesign

before even continuing I would suggest get rid of flash and hire a web developer. You are just hurting your band running flash.
I agree, however - The rest of the band simply doesn't want to pay for that option! I'm just trying to make do with what I am capable of, unfortunately.

HaroldDesign

Figures - Only the 2nd time in 4 years there have been temporary sever problems, and it happens right after I post the site here!

MatthewTimothy

I agree, however - The rest of the band simply doesn't want to pay for that option! I'm just trying to make do with what I am capable of, unfortunately.

im sorry my friend, but in no way does that site help you guys out. if they arent wanting to go anywhere than dont worry about it.

EDIT:
if you are going to do it, look at getting joomla (i prefer it over Wordpress) and look at some themes for musicians and you can buy some extensions for a great price and go that route. Still will take you sometime but it will be better than what you have up now.

HaroldDesign

im sorry my friend, but in no way does that site help you guys out. if they arent wanting to go anywhere than dont worry about it.

EDIT:
if you are going to do it, look at getting joomla (i prefer it over Wordpress) and look at some themes for musicians and you can buy some extensions for a great price and go that route. Still will take you sometime but it will be better than what you have up now.
I agree in some respects, and eventually I'll rebuild with something like you suggested. However, we have been selling downloads & CDs through the site, so in at least that way it is definitely helping us out!

I guess what I'm looking for are suggestions relevant to what it is now (colors, layout etc..) until I can get to rebuilding without flash, or can convince the band to have a pro do it. One of the two has to happen!

MatthewTimothy

I agree in some respects, and eventually I'll rebuild with something like you suggested. However, we have been selling downloads & CDs through the site, so in at least that way it is definitely helping us out!

I guess what I'm looking for are suggestions relevant to what it is now (colors, layout etc..) until I can get to rebuilding without flash, or can convince the band to have a pro do it. One of the two has to happen!

well you also have to look at it like a sign investment. you buy crap you get crap motto. With you running flash its not searchable, you have no SEO to integrate, you dont have a facebook fan page to help with you SEO. If you need any of that PM me, we can work something out in guidance or navigation.

SignManiac

In no way does it convey music to me. As for not wanting to spend money on a nice site, how much does the band combined spend on alcohol, pot, cigarettes etc. on a monthly basis? I would think that if they want to promote the band then they need to prioritize what is more important. If they truly don't care about investing in their music, then don't bother wasting your time on a better site for them.

HaroldDesign

well you also have to look at it like a sign investment. you buy crap you get crap motto. With you running flash its not searchable, you have no SEO to integrate, you dont have a facebook fan page to help with you SEO. If you need any of that PM me, we can work something out in guidance or navigation.
I have practice tonight - I'll talk with the band about getting some help (you). I am able to integrate SEO (google our name), but I don't really know what to do with it outside of description and key words.

MatthewTimothy

In no way does it convey music to me. As for not wanting to spend money on a nice site, how much does the band combined spend on alcohol, pot, cigarettes etc. on a monthly basis? I would think that if they want to promote the band then they need to prioritize what is more important. If they truly don't care about investing in their music, then don't bother wasting your time on a better site for them.

very valid point :goodpost:

HaroldDesign

We buy cheap beer for practice, and none of us use drugs (we're not "real'" musicians). We have families & businesses, and those things and others come first long before the band. What WOULD convey music to you? There are lots of different band sites, and I'm attempting to look relevant amongst rock band sites.

signswi

I'd recommend you build a site at http://squarespace.com

There's a free trial, use it for two weeks and if it doesn't do what you want, don't buy the site--no harm no foul.

Much better than building something out in flash that people can't access on their phones while at a concert or whatever.

HaroldDesign

I'd recommend you build a site at http://squarespace.com

There's a free trial, use it for two weeks and if it doesn't do what you want, don't buy the site--no harm no foul.

Much better than building something out in flash that people can't access on their phones while at a concert or whatever.
Thanks! I did start one on squarespace. I'm not sure yet if I like it. If someone goes to our site on a mobile device we have a mobile site for that. I understand why people don't look well upon flash sites, but there seems to be a number of things that are assumed to not be possible with a flash site that actually are.

d fleming

You should be a cop with those mad profiling skills.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I recently overhauled my band's website. First I feel the need to mention that it is flash-based, and that is the way it's probably going to stay. I am not a web designer and don't have the time to continue using Dreamweaver. That said, what might you suggest? I've been staring at it too long. I've gotten positive feedback, but of course it's been from people close to me. Fire away...
:thankyou:

http://www.alinebetween.com

It's not the best, the top "header" (yeah, i'll use that for lack of a better word for that in flash) is just a red to black fade with the logo slapped on top. While I do appreciate the basic color elements being used elsewhere ... no where else is that web 1.5 fade. I would get rid of the subtle red circular glow in the background and would try make a site that is seo compliant for searching. Most band sites (sadly) still use myspace or (hopefully) use a cms on their own hosted site. I really don't care if it's flash, hard to avoid atleast using flash elements ... but I would probably make the music preview part a pop out element, follow it up with a cms like joomla or drupal with an ecommerce and go from there ... What I just described is a free option ... just a time requirement ... if EVERYONE in the band makes a 10-35 minute commitment once a week to look at and edit the site ... you're designing of a decent cms that ANYONE can edit would be better than them throwing it at you and saying "yeah, do this for us ... that would be awesome." A website is a lot like a (good) woman, it takes time, money and/or effort. just throwing something up and letting it sit is a lot like taking a girl through the drive through at mc evils and ordering from the dollar menu on the first date ... if that works ... you probably don't want the girl.

HaroldDesign

It's not the best, the top "header" (yeah, i'll use that for lack of a better word for that in flash) is just a red to black fade with the logo slapped on top. While I do appreciate the basic color elements being used elsewhere ... no where else is that web 1.5 fade. I would get rid of the subtle red circular glow in the background and would try make a site that is seo compliant for searching. Most band sites (sadly) still use myspace or (hopefully) use a cms on their own hosted site. I really don't care if it's flash, hard to avoid atleast using flash elements ... but I would probably make the music preview part a pop out element, follow it up with a cms like joomla or drupal with an ecommerce and go from there ... What I just described is a free option ... just a time requirement ... if EVERYONE in the band makes a 10-35 minute commitment once a week to look at and edit the site ... you're designing of a decent cms that ANYONE can edit would be better than them throwing it at you and saying "yeah, do this for us ... that would be awesome." A website is a lot like a (good) woman, it takes time, money and/or effort. just throwing something up and letting it sit is a lot like taking a girl through the drive through at mc evils and ordering from the dollar menu on the first date ... if that works ... you probably don't want the girl.
Thanks Tyrant! The "header" does lack, but hey - the logo lacks, too. It's a work in progress and always will be. I do continually change things. I have a laundry list of things that I see need to be changed, and will do so in due time. This sight has come a long way in the last 3 years (believe it or not). I'm a bit uncertain as to the SEO not being compliant. I do have it integrated. No matter what search engine used (that I'm aware of) we are at the top of the results, and our name is offered as an option while typing in the search... What am I missing? Thanks for the input! I made a couple quick changes on account of it. I WILL get around to making them as they should be soon. :thumb:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
SEO compliance has more to do than ranking in search engines for a direct search.
It has to do with indexing a website so if you type out something like "Song on babylon 5 that byrons telepaths sung"
At which point your search results would look like the following :

http://www.google.com/search?q=Song+on+babylon+5+that+byrons+telepaths+sung

of course ... the idea is that a complete sentence will have all the required information to link together key words and get the most relivent response.

That is why seo is important. Secondary searches for primary information.