• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for Sign Material

Moonlight

Good Afternoon from SNOWY Northern Michigan!!

I'm new to the Sign World. I have been helping a buddy for years, and now started my own company. Most of my work will be for the Motocross Track that another buddy of mine is building. I have several signs for Outdoor Use there.

I was wondering what the best material would be? I plan to paint the sign material and then apply Vinyl Lettering & Graphics. I have been told to use "1/2" Signboard" But the places that I am calling are acting like I am speaking some foreign language. I am in a rural area so the places that I can go look at material is VERY limited!

THANX for the help!

Rich
Moonlight Graphics

J Hill Designs

MDO = signply

might consider dibond or equivalent tho - comes prepainted in some standard colors, and is lighter

oh and welcome from cali :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA................................

Moonlight.... that was an old dog of mine's name.

Moonlight

THANX guys! :thankyou:

Is MDO something that I can get localy, like at Home Depot / Lowes ? Or do I have to order from a supplier?

Thanx again!

Rich
:wavingflag:

J Hill Designs

Usually suppliers, but certain hardwood/specialty stores might have it -- FYI MDO stands for medium density overlay...might help you find it...

:thumb:

J Hill Designs

Yeah +1 to pat's post, but there are a few hardwood places in my town that carry ACTUAL MDO sign ply - usually just resin/resin (unprimed etc) but still MDO nonetheless

WrapperX

MDO, Dibond/Polymetal would be my 2 cents. Dibond will be more expensive I think, but will be lighter and I would bet last longer.

When doing work for your friends - make sure that they are aware that just because you are friends doesn't mean that they can low ball you and expect to eat the cost of the signs. If they are your source for business make sure you are making money. It can get slippery when selling to friends.
Good luck!
And :Welcome: from IL

ionsigns

1/2 plywood with craft paper overlay = MDO. Prime with oil base. Lasts longer.
Alumapanel lasts longer...less labor more cost. But hits are dings that never go away.
Lusterboard...Vinyl over plywood that is nice but needs caps and can delam.

Fellers or Grimco maybe as close to UP as anyone.

Moonlight

:thankyou:
For all of the responses so far!

As far as working for friends, that has not been a problem yet, mainly because I am not doing a LOT mostly stuff for the Motocross Track.

The BIGGEST obstacle that I am running up against as of right now is the fact that I can not find anyplace that sells MDO! I am having a really hard time finding anyone that can even order it or knows WHAT it is!

ANY suggestions on where to buy in Michigan (I am in Northern Michigan)

:thankyou:SO much, Again!

Rich
Moonlight Graphics

k.a.s.

Try an independent lumber yard, even if they dont have it they should be able get it within a few days.

Kevin