• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Suggestions on best Vehicle Wrap Vinyl to work with

AKwrapguy

Hello everyone i need some suggestions on who has the best and workable vehicle vinyl. Thanks

It kinda depends on the job, and your set up/work flow. Our go to vehicle wrap material is 3M IJ180 CV-3 with 8518, 8519 or 8520 lam. However this might not be the best wrap for you. I would suggest reaching out and getting some sample rolls and testing them yourself. Other material to look at would also be Avery, Oracal, and Hexis. I personally have not had much luck with Arlon but it's also been a few years since I have used them so take that for what it's worth.

Each brand and line will have their own pro's and con's so it's important spend a little time testing them.

SkyHighSigns

Right on AK thanks, my previous company would use a lot of Oracal or 3M for vehicles seems the best. I will get with my vendor and see what they can hook us up sample wise

ikarasu

180/8518 for printable / comfortable

480/8548 for bumpers / extreme comformability

I don't like 3ms non printable vinyl for wraps. A lot of the colors have haze before even applying... Or its easy to get glue lines. For colored vinyl I prefer -

Vivvid (Canadian manufactured cast... Not too popular in USA yet, but a great vinyl) then Avery, then as a last resort 3M.

Every installer will have their own prefferance though.

mjkjr

I use and like Arlon 6000XRP with their 3220 laminate. Very easy to work with and conformable.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
My/Our experience:
(Only Cast materials will be here with exception of a Polymeric Calendered.)

3M 180mC (micro comply) easier than 180 regular but not as much as I'd like.
3M 180C-V3 (too aggressive, release from liner is more difficult) not the best white point with laminate seems to shift yellow a bit
3M 180C-V1 seems less aggressive than the V3 and releases from liner easier. not the best white point with laminate seems to shift yellow a bit
3M 40-C Installs like 180, with slightly lower cost and longevity but still within reason for box trucks and trailers. (we use it for all signs rather than IJ35 due to longevity.)
3M 175 Installs easier than 180mC but not as easy as Avery 1105. (there's a concern with removals /chance of adhesive remaining) Our FAVORITE 3M vinyl to wrap with.
3M 180mc-UR (Ultra removable) installs as easy as mC but we had issues with adhesive.
3M 480mc Installs ...Differently completely differently than the others...reacts to heat differently and takes time to get used to...but can be awesome in the right circumstances.
Avery 1105 Easiest to install but has more issues with my Latex ink and laminate. Also doesn't "feel" like it stays put as well as 3M. Our favorite non-3M vinyl to wrap with
Arlon SLX goes on too easy and requires applied pressure just to position etc. I know it seems counter-intuitive but the low initial tac seems TOO low. Best white point.
Mactac - great white point, too aggressive initial tac
Orajet- too aggressive initial tac...good white point though. Had issues in past with adhesive coming off vinyl if stuck together.

Side note: Laminate makes a difference on install as well. I HATE installing with "Luster" overlaminate. It's abrasive to the squeegee buffers and doesn't add the niceness of Matte or Gloss. I don't see the point of it and it doesn't save folks a bunch of money...but for some reason many of the National Marketing companies that send us wraps for install only on franchises...always use Luster. Grrrrr.

Avery smells the best to me. :p However, they all smell like money when I'm wrapping (revenue) AND when it gets wasted (down the drain) ;)

2B

as stated, if the project's specs call for a certain material/brand there is what you use.

Kentucky Wraps
This is a VERY good breakdown of the materials