• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions on how to make this glass plaque?

Big EZ Signs LLC

Hey everyone, I have a client who wants a glass plaque made for a new building. This is kind of a new thing to me, as I usually just order metal plaques from Gemini. I'm looking for suggestions on how to do this? The architect's "notes" weren't exactly detailed, I've included everything they said they want. Just looking for suggestions from some other sign makers about how to go about making this?
Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• plaque_shop_drawing.jpg
    plaque_shop_drawing.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 112

Hunter74

Spare Parts
Their notes don't make sense. I would submit a Request for Information (RFI) for more clarity. Have them define frosted, as most times, they are really wanting an etch look. If you have samples of etch & frosted, I'd submit them for their approval. This biggest red flag is how this is mounted with VHB. There isn't enough surface tension or bond to support the weight. I would see if they are open to 2 changes . Substitute Acrylic (17 lbs) vs glass (39 lbs) and a stand-off mechanical/frame system.

JBurton

Signtologist
So, they want this frosted piece of glass, to have frosted letters, on a metallic background.
Is this like the architect's version of a canadian tuxedo?

This biggest red flag is how this is mounted with VHB. There isn't enough surface tension or bond to support the weight.
While it's a truly dumb idea, it totally is possible to adhere a 40lb piece of glass, 2'x3', with just VHB tape or 467mp. Should you do it? Not unless you like looking through glass at adhesive...

Gettin'By

Looks like they want it painted metallic silver, so I don't think you'll see the VHB, but I think they are wanting the side of the glass facing the VHB painted, so you'd be relying on the adhesion of the paint, right?

Hunter74

Spare Parts
"While it's a truly dumb idea, it totally is possible to adhere a 40lb piece of glass, 2'x3', with just VHB tape or 467mp. Should you do it? Not unless you like looking through glass at adhesive..."
Yeah that's kind of where I was leaning with it. You'd literally have to VHB the entire back and then who knows what the install surface is like... just never had vhb + glass not fail or look like ass.

ProSignTN

Please inform this amatuer architect that second surface is defined as the back side od a panel. How could you possibly mount the first surface to the second surface when they are the same panel? Dilweed