Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestions on printing aluminum boards

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Pideas, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I'm working on a project of printing 120 dry erase boards (size is 12x16") on 3mm composite aluminum. Both sides of the board will be dry erase. Only one side is printed and the other side is dry erase but not printed. What's the best way to tackle this job?

I was going to print on my HP Latex, laminate with dry erase laminate. I was going to purchase the aluminum boards precut to 12x16" and then mount the dry erase onto each board individually.

The other option is to mount the printed and laminated vinyl directly onto the 48x96" aluminum board and then cut into 12x16" pieces. However, when we do it this way, we don't always get a nice clean cut when cutting the aluminum boards. Sometimes the edges come up after cutting when we do it this way.

Any suggestions?

Tags:
  2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    We would print, router and lam on a sled....flip to the other side and lam again. Time consuming but easier than mounting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    What do you use to cut 3mm aluminum composite in order to get a clean edge?

4. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Our CNC or we also have an FSC from Fletcher with the cutting wheel for composite. That machine rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Mounting a laminated piece of vinyl onto the full board and just laminate the other side would be the way to go, if you don't have the CNC. However, I would use a 5' x 12' piece of ACM. Also, make sure the blade is sharp and running full speed in order not to get a fuzzy edge.

6. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    We use a KeenCut table cutter to make our cuts. We don't get fuzzy edges but the edges tend to curl up just a little bit on the cut edge.