• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa clear vinyl lamination issue?

upandup

I have been trying to find an answer to my issue for a week or so, so I am hoping putting this in the Summa forum will get me some feedback from other Summa clear vinyl users or Summa direct.

I have a specific application that requires a clear backing, so I sprung for the Summa 3M clear vinyl, since it was apparently made for the thermal transfer process. The print is beautiful, but I am trying to use Arlon 3220 to laminate and am getting horrible results. I am having extreme silvering issues. I am using the Big Squeegee and have tried multiple methods. The best results I got was using a tremendous (entire body weight) amount of downward pressure, which did dramatically reduce the silvering, but I checked on the print a few days later and although it is the best result I've got to date it has small bubbles and flaws throughout when looking at it up close.

I am 99.9% sure I am using the BS correctly, so I even decided to reach out to 3M. Based on my research it looks like the Summa clear vinyl is similar or the same to the 3M 7725 film. According to 3M they don't recommend vinyl overlaminates on their 7725, but instead recommend a liquid laminate (which wouldn't work for my application).

Is anyone out there using this clear vinyl and laminating with success? If so, I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could share the laminate that is working, or the process being used to produce good results.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hello Upandup,

I have never heard of any issues with applying a laminate to a thermal print(Summa print). I think the culprit here is the lack of even pressure when applying the laminate to the print. The big squeegee is a great tool, but it is not a laminator. A laminator might be something to consider(if the budget allows) if you plan on applying lamination regularly and that should apply nice even pressure when transferring the laminate to the surface of the print. Should remove the air bubbles you are getting and you won't have to break your back to apply enough pressure to get an even transfer.

You might check the classified ads on this site and others for used laminators. That would be a great way to get a quality machine at a discounted price.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

AF

This is more of a Big Squeegee issue than laminate. Make sure your work surface is flat and strong. When properly done, the BS will leave tons of silvering that goes away after a few hours. Watch Dale's videos closely to pick up in the little details that make all the difference.

CarNate69

Buy a laminator. They exist for a reason. Quit using a pvc pipe cut in half with a felt edge on it, this isn't grade school project day, it's called producing a product you're proud of and making a living.

Sign Works

Try this, roll up your laminated prints on a vinyl core (lam to the outside) and let sit overnite. You might not like the wait but I'll bet your happy with the end result the next day.

upandup

Buy a laminator. They exist for a reason. Quit using a pvc pipe cut in half with a felt edge on it, this isn't grade school project day, it's called producing a product you're proud of and making a living.

After some frustrating trial and error I would have to agree. I decided I can't mess around with this if I'm going to take production where I am planning. Buying a laminator tomorrow.

Anybody want to buy a lightly used Big Squeegee?