• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa color control software

lilb93

To use a summa DX4 do you need there color control software? what are the advantages and disadvantages of using it or not using it. What else on the market will drive the summa to print and cut. Thanks

gnemmas

It is such a niche product, due to it's low volume, it is not likely third party will try to service them either in consumable or software. Gerber Edge due to it's volume, there are few third party vendor such as Flexi & Signlab can drive it.

In other words, you are marrying Summa. (Although they do have good support reputation).

PGSigns

Its what you need and it works fine. I design in Corel Draw and send everything to the printer with color control. No need to look for others I don't think there are any.
Jimmy

lilb93

Spoke with summa late today ( took them 9 hrs to call me back for a sale) They wanted 2500.00 for a new dongle. There price in NUTS it only a rip.

Right now you can get the best Signlab for 1800.00 and get free there pro cut. I see where a lot of people talk about summa's prices to be a bit crazy for anything they have. So I guess it signlab, unless I can find a dongle for a summa. I believe I would have better luck hitting the powerball twice in one week.

lilb93

Guy bought it new from summa never got the dongle, since they never sent the dondle he would not pay for machine. They repoed it , I got if from the repo company. It has about 80% of the original ribbons left. it says it has 920Sf printed in the printer control.

Squeezie

If it says there has been 920 sq ft run on it, they're probably not the original ribbons. $2500 for the software and dongle isn't bad and it does work perfectly right out of Corel. I don't think it would even work with a Summa, but Wasatch RIP is a lot more than that. FASTrip is comparable, but I think it only works on Epson machines. I'd go for it. Save yourself the trouble and make sure you get things working right from the start. Plus if you have to call Summa's tech support, they'll be able to help you right away. They do have great support.

lilb93

Upon a lot of calls and talking to a lot of different people.
There rip is actually signlab in disguise, also the contra vision which is inside signlab and summs'a color control for doing see thru window prints on vehicles and glass. The only difference between the two is with signlab you get to print ONLY 10 sq. meters of material and then you have to contact contra vision for a liscense. (have not recived a price yet). With summa I believe it is unlimited. They cannot even answer that....

So for the money signlab is a much better deal. You get the rip and you don't need coral you have signlab design station which is like flexi or gerber Omega.

I ordered Signlab today it should be here tommorrow 45.00 for overnight shipping.

PGSigns

If he printed 920 sq feet he had the dongle. A set of ribbons will print about 350 square feet depending on how you print. So he went through a bunch of material. As good as Summa's support is I just don't see them telling him they won't take care of the dongle problem when he got the machine.
Jimmy