Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Summa contour cutting off 0.2mm

Discussion in 'Summa' started by shizyo, Apr 15, 2020.

1. shizyo

shizyo New Member

Apr 14, 2020
    Australia
    Hi all,
    Currently I am using a Summa D75R to do contour cutting. I use Flexi to output the printing to my eco solvent printer and contour cutting to my Summa D75R. But the Summa will not cut exactly on the contour line of the printing, it's approx 0.2mm off to the right. The top and the bottom are perfect. The tested printing is approx A3 size. I tested the contouring cutting both in Flexi with OPOS X and OPOS XY in Winplot but got the same result. I know that Summa's accuracy is 0.2 % of movement or 0.25 mm, whichever is greater but is there anything I can do to make it cut more accurately?

Tags:
  2. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    Do an OPOS Calibration through the OPOS-Menu.

3. shizyo

shizyo New Member

Apr 14, 2020
    Australia
    I have done the OPOS Calibration and Media Calibration many times but got the same result. I set the OPOS Level to 30 but it also has the OPOS Grey and OPOS Black. Is there a parameter for these 2 settings I need to set before the calibration?

4. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    The level of 30 is for the sensitivity of the sensor, it have nothing to do with the accuracy. OPOS-Calibration is the important task.

Problems with accuracy can be caused by a lot of issues: tracking problems, media deviations (for example when the media deforms because of heat) and more. 0.2mm is, for my opinion, a good value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. shizyo

shizyo New Member

Apr 14, 2020
    Australia
    I used the OPOS level for Media Calibration and were wondering changing OPOS GREY and OPOS BLACK parameter will make the machine read the registration marks more accurately. I heard someone said that using OPOS Barcode will help improving the accuracy. Is it possible that we make the barcode with CorelDraw or Illustration and cut with Winplot? My Flexi version doesn't have the OPOS Barcode option so I am just thinking if I could make it in other design softwares. Is there a tutorial somewhere about making the OPOS barcode in CorelDraw, Illustrator and cut with Winplot?

6. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    I'm not sure if this will help as I have an older summa - but would a knife offset calibration help?

7. jerry369

jerry369 Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Europe
    Be sure to use black vinyl with white backing when calibrating OPOS

8. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    What jobs are you doing that need to be within 0.2mm?

As you stated, it looks like the 0.2mm is within the accuracy parameters that summa stated so I can’t see there being too much that can help.

In all honesty, if they gave me a cutter and said it’d stay within 0.2mm I’d be pretty happy with that.

9. Eugene Tan

Eugene Tan Just Sharing

Feb 7, 2020
    Thailand
    OPOS Calibration: This is to adjust the offset between your knife and the OPOS Sensor. Do this everytime you change your knife.
    Knife Offset: This is to adjust the offset between the knife CENTER to the knife TIP.

Maybe you can adjust in the graphics cutting file instead? Offset it there or something.

Something I would like to share is that when creating graphics, place the contour line(s) on a different layer.

NOTE:
    Some RIP software require that the contour lines are defined in special color (spot color). Please refer to the user’s manual that came with your software or contact your software dealer for specifics.
    Do not place contour lines along the edges of graphics or the slightest movement in the media may result in an unsatisfactory cut. Instead, practice one of the following techniques.

[​IMG]
    Just Sharing, not sure it'll help.