• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa contour cutting software or Illustrator Plugin

Tizz

To all summa experienced users I'm seeking your info and knowledge of contour cutting printed graphics from a Roland.
I'm interested in your workflow and what software is used to accomplish this.
Doing my research first as Im planning on a purchase.
I've heard that a plugin for illustrator exists that enables you to add the required registration marks to the artwork, print the file in Versaworks or any rip program, save a contour cut file and cut directly from the Illy plugin..

Intentions to print from a Roland with said marks and contour cut on a summa. Design work all created in Illustrator and ripped thru Versaworks.
Will I need another rip program to control the summa or will the included software suffice?

Your replies are appreciated, thanks in advance.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Sounds like the setup we use but with CoreDRAW. We use a RIP for printing and a cut plugin for Corel. I went one further and made my own macro to allow making the registration marks from the designers pc's. I did this because the printer has it's own designated pc for our print person to run. I got tired of walking across the warehouse to bring up the file just to add the marks and layers necessary.
Still have to bring the file up on that pc once it's ready for cutting but the macro saves a lot of time.
Also made my own macro to create weed lines. It's more simplified than how the plug-in does it.

Bottom line - I think you'd be happy with an Illy plug-in, We had the option to install this plug-in for illy or Corel. We chose the better one LOL
Plug-in is called FineCut Pro.

AF

I don't use versaworks so I do not know if this workflow applies (we use Colorgate):

Initial Set Up:
In the rip, set up spot color names for the different types of cuts / materials you use in the cutter setup. For example, if you contour cut laminated cast vinyl at 80 grams of force you would create a spot color named something logical like "lami_cast_contour_80".

In the rip, create a media type for the laminated cast you use. Create a profile for it as normal. Enable cutting through the Rip and select your Summa. Enable spot color replacement in the cutting window and select the spot colors that correspond to that media. For example, select the spot color "lami_cast_contour_80" to be replaced with cut information.

In AI, create a template file and make spot colors with unique colors that have matching names to what you set up in the RIP. For example, create a spot color that is magenta and name it "lami_cast_contour_80".

Creating PNC artwork:
Use the template file to create your artwork. Locate the path that is to be the contour cut path. Often it is necessary to create and offset a new path for a proper bleed. Select the intended cut path and assign it the spot color that corresponds to the cut type / media type / pressure you need. For example, if the art is a circular design then select the circle that is the cut path and change to the spot color "lami_cast_contour_80" and save the file as a pdf. The cut path won't print so keep this in mind.

Printing the file:
Open the file in the RIP and assign it the media type created earlier. The RIP will automatically recognize the cut paths, create registration marks, create a barcode, and create a cut file. Print the file and send through the laminator.

Cutting the file:
Load the laminated print in the Summa. Open Cutter Control and start the barcode server. Hit the "read barcode" button and position the opos sensor above the barcode. Everything from here is automatic, including reading the next barcode job if you printed several jobs in a row.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Tizz,

Assuming you're running everything on a windows based PC then the process of contour cutting is very straightforward. We offer a plug-in for illustrator which you can use to assign registration marks to your file. It is included with our "Summa Cutter Tools" and you can download a copy here - https://www.summausa.com/support/?tab=2&prod=SummaCut.

Once the marks are applied to your file you would RIP and print everything through Versaworks. Just make sure that you don't have an output device assigned for the cutting in Versaworks because it may apply additional registration marks that wouldn't be needed.

After the print is complete you simply load the material onto your Summa and use our free Winplot cutting program(you can download a copy of Winplot using the same link above) to output the contour cut job. In Winplot you simply would select "output" then "send to OPOS cutter". After the file has been sent the cutter will prompt you to place the tool over the first mark, which is always the lower right hand side mark as you view the cutter from the front. Using the arrow keys to place the blade over the top of the first mark and hit apply and the cutter will automatically start detecting each mark and start cutting immediately after it finishes reading the marks.

Please feel free to contact our support team at (800)323-9766 if you have any difficulties.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.