• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Cut-off Knife

Decal_Designs

Just wondering what a Summa Cut-off Knife is exactly and what it looks like.

Is it worth the $12 they ask for it?

On their website, it says Cut-off Knife (without base).

What do they mean by the base?

:thankyou:

Barry

Its a little blue piece of plastic with a razor blade in it... Is it worth $12? To me it is, makes cutting vinyl off MUCH easier... I lost mine for 2 days and about went crazy without it.

Decal_Designs

Do you just run it along the slot on the cutter that's above the measurements?

If it's handy, I'll get one.

I like handy gadgets.

LabelsEtc

If it's the little blue plastic thing with the razor blade in it that came with my Summa, I wouldn't give them 12 cents for it. I used mine twice, the plastic cracked and the razor blade fell out and took a chunk of my finger with it. It's like those promotional letter opener/coupon cutters they sell for less than a buck each.

There's got to be a better way to cut vinyl off the machine. Has anyone tried those rolling scissors?

Donna

Decal_Designs

Thanks everyone,
I do not like gadgets that break.

I just ordered an OLO rolling scissors today. I'll let you know how it works.

So far, I've just been pushing along a pair of sharp regular scissors, but they get dull very quickly doing that.

Greg

I use something called a Summa Couppy?

It works great and is solid.......

Attachments

• vinyl_cutter_couppy.jpg
    vinyl_cutter_couppy.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 183

Barry

Greg said:
I use something called a Summa Couppy?

It works great and is solid.......
Greg,

That is the one that comes with the Summa, mine is just blue though... :) Ive tried other methods to cut the vinyl off and none are as good as the Summa Couppy?

Decal_Designs

Well, speak of the Couppy?

I just received the Summer 2005 Summa catalog and on page 10 it shows the Cut off knife. One is blue and it mentions the D60, D120, D750 and T750 and costs $12.
The other is yellow, like the one posted by Greg. That one costs $29 and mentions the higher end machines, D1010, D1400, D1600, T1010, T1400 and T1600.

I wonder what the difference is and why it's so much extra?

Barry

They both look exactly the same, Im guessing they think they can get more money out of the people with the bigger machines..

Greg

Dunno, mine came with a SummaCut D60. Maybe they were out of the blue ones? Bonus for me!

It fits right in the groove on the Summa. I don't see how you'd break it unless you tired to cut aluminum sheeting with it. One thing I do wonder about is replacement blades. I'm about due for one.

LabelsEtc

I believe mine was defective. On the opposite side there is a little plastic slide bar that's supposed to hold the blade in place, but it just slid back and forth and didn't hold anything in place. Kind of dangerous.

Donna

Decal_Designs

Replacement blades are available in a 10 pack for $7. it says D series and T series, so I don't think it matters if you have a blue or yellow cutter.

The part # is 391-146
Available at Summastore.com or 800-527-7778

I have the catalog in front of me.

Greg

This is probably obvious but you can flip the blade four times before you need a new one......just look at the tarnish on the corners to see which have been used.

Figures I'd spend big money on equipment and worry about the cost of a razor blade.....