• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Cutter stopped working

rainbow

I have a Summa Cut D60. I was going to cut something last week, turned on machine, but then got called away. Decided to cut job tonight and when I turned on my machine, nothing happened. No Beep. Nothing on the display. So I checked the power strip. All good there. Checked the fuse. Good. My husband brought in his electric meter and checked both the fuse and the power cord, all work. HELP! What can I trouble shoot next?

AF

Make sure cord is pligged into the Summa all the way. Otherwise contact Summa tech support. They are very helpful.

Bill Heishman

Summa Tech support

Summa Tech support is always helpful and can talk you through checking for most issues.

I've owned 5 Summa plotters over the years and never had a power supply fail.

Does the switch feel solid when you flip it on?

rainbow

Thank you all for responding. I have unplugged cord, taken out fuse and put back in. Husband checked both those item and the switch itself and they all are working. I guess my next step is tech support. I was trying to avoid a fee to talk to them by seeing if anyone on here has had a similar issue.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Summa tech support is always free. Parts can be pricey, but it is a solid well built machine. Knock on wood, mine has never given me a problem.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Rainbow,

I received your email and sent you a reply already. As was mentioned, this is likely caused by a defective power supply. The part number and replacement cost info are in the email I sent you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

hcardwell93

On a different board someone suggested looking at the wire to the switch. They say it should be a slide connector. Remove it and plug it back in.

rainbow

Hi Rainbow,

I received your email and sent you a reply already. As was mentioned, this is likely caused by a defective power supply. The part number and replacement cost info are in the email I sent you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Thank you Phil. Is this part easy to switch out? Also are there other 'typical' parts that start to fail at this age?

Bill Heishman

It is not typical for "me" to have a power supply burn out.... I've owned several.. a couple of them are around 18 years old. Ask tech support if they have or can send you the pages of the service manual that explains how to switch out the power supply. It is not a task for someone with no experience taking things apart. There is no soldering, but lots of things to unplug ang plug back in as well a lots of screws.

Bill

denis467

Same thing happened to me after less than 4 months of using summa sclass 2 t!
And I had many troubles from the first day of use... not happy with this cutter and I wish I'd better purchase graphtec instead...
it was constantly freezing and required reboot to continue work almost every day...
alignment tape looks so cheap and was peeling from the day 1... contacted about that issue and was told that I'll receive a replacement for that tape, but received nothing...
And I told by Phil, that theyre not gonna refund me 100% money I paid even if there are any defects etc and they can even charge me more for not returning it in not brand new condition, even if I contacted them many times about different problem with that cutter and it was clear that it is not brand new and defective.....

Now, I have that sh*ty cutter that stopped working in the middle of busy week and I feel like I was fooled by all these promo posts here at this forum, that this is machine of legendary quality that will work forever etc etc...
In my case, forever ends after 4 months