• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Summa D120 SE

Alan Menhennet

Hi Everyone

I have the opportunity to buy a Summa Cutter. The Summa D120 SE model.
I actually have a Mimaki Print & Cut but would like to add the Summa for my Titanjet (Cheap Printer) to produce labels (Print on the Titanjet & Cut on the Summa).

I know this is an older model. Would it still be wise to purchase it or should I rather go for some local imported Chinese cutters?

Titanjet uses flexi. Would i be able to get the Flexi cut software for the Summa as well or even something like Signmaster which I really enjoy using.

Ive attached pics of the Summa cutter to show the model.

Attachments

• IMG-20200407-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20200407-WA0030.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG-20200407-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20200407-WA0029.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 600

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What rip do you use on the mimaki? If you really wanted you could cut stuff you’ve printed on the mimaki on the summa too. Keeps your printer for printing!

Alan Menhennet

I use Rasterlink's Finecut. Yeah thats also a good idea.
Im not too clued up on how I would go about it though.

Usually I tile the image in Corel then Export using Finecut straight out of Corel. It then saves both files print and cut in the hotfolder. So when I open Rasterlink the file is there ready for cutting.

Signmaster i have to save a pdf to print and seperately send the file to the cutter as you would with a desktop printer to cut.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I just use the presets in onyx so I could be wrong here, but I believe summa also has a plug-in for their marks. Should be the same workflow. I’ll reiterate that I’ve never actually done it but there should be a lot of resources here or online.

We have a mimaki print and cut and rarely use the machines cutter any more. The summa is MUCH quicker, more accurate and it means we can keep the mimaki printing.

Alan Menhennet

Thanks, ill have a look around and read some more.
But in short would you say this would still be a good buy even though its an older Model?
The agents for Summa here in South Africa said that it looks like a really old model... And would suggest rather buying a newer model.
But in the same breath they told me Summa cutters last for years & years...
I have a limited budget so thats why Im leaning towards this cutter.

FrankW

Even an older Summa is a better choice than the common low cost chinese cutter. But the contour cut functionality of the summa cutters have significantly increased with the newer models and OPOS X. So I would think about a newer Summacut or S-Class with OPOS X. Flexi regularly supports contour cutting with summa.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
I would have to agree with Frank that an older Summa, even the SE model you mentioned above, would be a much better alternative to one of the cheap Chinese options. If you can swing one of the newer Summa models with OPOS X that sensor will be able to sense the marks with more consistency, especially if you are using a glossy laminate.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you about the different Summa options and I would be happy to help however I can.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Alan Menhennet

I would have to agree with Frank that an older Summa, even the SE model you mentioned above, would be a much better alternative to one of the cheap Chinese options. If you can swing one of the newer Summa models with OPOS X that sensor will be able to sense the marks with more consistency, especially if you are using a glossy laminate.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you about the different Summa options and I would be happy to help however I can.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Thanks for the response. This must be a silly question but I cant find any info on the SE version... Does it have and "optical eye" to detect printer crop marks.
The seller didnt use it himself. His employees did years ago so he cant even answer me

Alan Menhennet

Even an older Summa is a better choice than the common low cost chinese cutter. But the contour cut functionality of the summa cutters have significantly increased with the newer models and OPOS X. So I would think about a newer Summacut or S-Class with OPOS X. Flexi regularly supports contour cutting with summa.

Thanks, ive read great things about the Opos X technology

Udesignz1

Thanks for the response. This must be a silly question but I cant find any info on the SE version... Does it have and "optical eye" to detect printer crop marks.
The seller didnt use it himself. His employees did years ago so he cant even answer me
I does have opos reader... never tried it before