• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D160SE Opos Calibration Fails

Morph1

Print all
Hi All,

I am just trying to figure out what is the problem with our summa, its unable to detect contour registration marks from
our printer, I ran the opos calibartion and it fails ... I can see the sensor red beam scanning but it fails to detect the white square...

Is the sensor faulty ? , is there any other way to calibrate that thing ?

thanks,

gabagoo

I have the d-140 and have always had issues with detection. 3ml lam is a problem and anything printed on matte material. I found that if I use a pencil eraser over the registration marks, the reader works. I guess it likes to look for a dull black square.

Morph1

Print all
I have a summa eclipse 64 and never had a problem... except sometimes I do have to rub the marks with my thumb..., however
the D160SE doesn't detect anything .. it just keeps searching....

I will try to reset to default and see if that helps....

Morph1

Print all
I got some success last night with that sensor opos calibration...,
the problem lays in the swivel how the sensor goes up and down, the plastic piece with hinge must be worn out because the sensor was gliding right on the vinyl when I raised the sensor just a bit it calibrated by the first time..., poor design all I can say... I am gonna try to do some contour cutting today and see how it goes...

Hopefully it cooperates...

cheers !

Morph1

Print all
Well I got some contour cutting going but it is very difficult to get to scan all the point...,
I have to hold the sensor up in order to successfuly scan all the registration points...
Do I have to replace that sensor ? I tried to clean it with alcohol still having problems.
Any ideas ?

FrankW

The first generation OPOS-Sensor (the one with the red light) was established in 1995 for use with screen printing, and is really weak in recognizing marks printed with low density inks, or marks on laminated prints. This Sensor is used in the SummaSign- and SummaCUT SE-Plotters, and in the Emblem branded SummaCUT's too. You can give a firmware upgrade a try, because the last firmware versions (with OPOS 2.0) have improved that a little bit.

The OPOS X-Sensor introduced in 2005 with the S-Class (the one with the white light), and is in use in SummaCUT R-models since 2007 too, is much better: it recognizes markers in the standard calibration with which the old sensor fails completely, and correctly calibrated can even recognize coloured markers on white background. In addition, it have additional features like OPOS XY (compensation of bowing effects) and OPOS Barcode (recognizes the appropriate cutting file itself by scanning a printed barcode).

If needing enhanced contour cutting capabilities, you should buy a SummaCUT-R or a S-Class-Plotter. The white light sensor is available as a spare part for older plotters too, but when thinking that a red light OPOS Plotter is at minimum 10 years old, it would be a better idea to replace the old one.

gabagoo

I feel your pain as I have been so frustrated with my d140 and the issues with reading the marks. I have all sorts of tricks to make it work, but about a month ago nothing worked. I was basically trapped in front of that machine for over an hour trying to get it to cut a $50 decal set. I don't know if the opus is the same on your machine but when I was looking at it I see a circular opening that faces directly to the front and I wondered if something had fallen off as I could understand that dust could get right in there causing problems. The opening was not large enough to get a Qtip in there so I took a little bit of cotton and wrapped it around a snapped off Qtip wood piece...just enough to get in the hole. I doused it with alcohol and plunged it in and twisted it all over with no care if I ruined the entire reader as I was so pissed at that point and figured I had nothing to loose. I let it sit for 5 minutes to allow the alcohol to flash off and then..... IT WORKED LIKE NEW!!!! Now over the last few weeks it seems to be starting to have issues again, so once again I cleaned inside that opening and again it did it's thing perfectly...well almost perfectly. So see if you have that opening and maybe debris is getting stuck in there.