• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D60 Issues

Logoadv

We picked up a used Summa D60 yesterday and are having some issues with getting it to function.

When turned on, the display LCD squares all turn on (looks like a series of solid blocks). After perhaps 20 minutes, it will start beeping and then cycle 3 messages.

The messages are:
Please Wait
Ram 2M
D60

followed by a beep (though it seems sometimes the messages aren't in the same order, or it will only show one for a split second then beep and start the cycle over)

None of the buttons on the keypad seem to do anything. I have not been able to locate windows 7 compatible software ( the CD that came with the machine only lists up to XP ) in order to test if disconnecting the display and controlling the unit through the computer only (as a tech recommended over the phone) had any effect.

Hopefully someone here has a bit more expertise with these machines. It looks nearly brand new, and we could really use the second cutter in our busy shop!

FrankW

You will find Windows 7-compatible software at the summa website. Try Summa Cutter Control (installed through Summa Cutter Tools) to connectto the cutter and try to operate it.

The blocks and messages are correct except that it takes 20 minutes until booting (perhaps you have meant 20 secs?).

Logoadv

Hi Frank,
If its powered off for a while, it takes a LONG time (first time I went to lunch and when I came back it started beeping and flashing the messages). Now if I only turn it off for a minute it starts flashing messages right away.

We went ahead and paid the money to open a service call and are now checking to see if its a power supply or main board issue.

I tried installing the software but at this point the USB just comes up as unknown device and an error that it could not install the drivers for the USB device.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Summa D60

Hello,

As Frank mentioned, I would start by downloading the latest versions of Summa Cutter Control, Winplot, and the USB cutter driver for Windows if you haven't already. You can download everything you need by clicking on the following link - https://www.summausa.com/support/?tab=2.

Once you have everything installed, and the cutter connected via USB, then you can launch the Summa Cutter Control software to view the settings and try to communicate with the plotter. If you download all the files I suggested, boot up the cutter, and the problem persists then I would assume that there is an issue with the mainboard. If it is indeed the mainboard, then you might be better off buying a replacement device as opposed to fixing this device, because the cost to repair would probably exceed the value of the cutter.

Another idea if you wanted some technical assistance might be to purchase a per incidence extended support plan. This would give you 72 hours with Summa Technical Support to try and resolve this issue. The cost for the per incidence plan is only $39, and you can purchase this plan by contacting Summa Customer Service at (800)527-7778.

Hopefully we can get this resolved for you, and get your Summa back up and running.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

pj101mn

Summa D60 Same issues

I realize I'm a couple years late to this issue, but was this ever resolved (if the OP is still around)? I recently picked up a used D60/u with exactly the same issues mentioned, except no 20 minute wait. Upon start up it immediately flashes:

PLEASE WAIT
RAM 2M
*BEEP*
And occasionally says "LOADING" in which the tool carriage will move a few inches, the repeat the above. I've let it go for 20-30 minutes on several occasions and nothing changes. I've attempted to update the firmware, but am not sure if that was successful - I'm connected via USB to a Mac and don't have access to a PC to try Summa Cutter Control or other software mentioned.

I'm attempting to reach Summa Technical Support, but seeing as this appears to be the exact same issue, if anyone knows of a resolution it would be greatly appreciated!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hello PJ101mn,

Sorry to hear about the issues with the D60U. The first thing I would try is to FSM the cutter, if possible(you may not be able to access this if the mainboard is defective). To FSM the cutter you simply hold down the left and right arrow keys as well as the enter key when the plotter is booting up. When in the FSM mode just click the right arrow and you will select "special" by pressing the enter key. Once that is completed you just need to make an adjustment to a system parameter(coil setting for example) and a user parameter(knife pressure for example). If you FSM the plotter and are still having boot error messages it is likely being caused by a defective mainboard(PCB) that would need to be replaced.

So, I would say give that a shot and see how it goes. Hopefully it fixes the issues you are having and if not I would suggest contacting our support team at (800)323-9766.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

pj101mn

Summa D60 FM/Mainboard issues

Hi Phil, Thanks for the quick response. I tried to FSM the cutter during startup and can get to the menu that says "Special" if I'm lucky but can't get beyond that before the dreaded RAM 2M ... PLEASE WAIT messages take over. I did contact Technical Support who offered the suggestion that perhaps a key was stuck on the keypad and to disconnect the keypad and see what happens. I tried their suggestion and the beeping/slow revving up noise persists the same as when the keypad was connected. At this point I'm led to believe this is a mainboard issue which is unfortunate as I was very excited to get this cutter up and running! Thanks again for the help - I think it's probably off to electronics recycling with this one.
Pete

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear that the FSM process didn't do the trick. It's always sad to see an old Summa hit the recycling center, but I understand considering the circumstances. Let me know if you might be interested in getting another Summa in the future and I would be happy to try and get you a deal on a new machine.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.